Chapter twenty

I opened my eyes to the light coming through the windows, hitting my face

I opened my eyes to the light coming through the windows, hitting my face. I squinted as I turned to the opposite side and covered my face with the dark duvet. Only then did I realise something had been very wrong.

The duvet had a very specific scent, one that I happened to like very much but knew had nothing to do with me. Besides that, the duvet cover was black while mine was dark grey and I was more than certain that the windows in my bedroom were to my left when I slept. Now, they were to my right.

And then it hit me.

A door opened as a very much half-naked Nicolas stepped out with only a white towel wrapped around his waist. He glanced at me and smiled before he stopped in his tracks.

"Good morning, sunshine," I couldn't help but smile as I pulled the duvet from my face and couldn't resist staring at his god-built body. His dark hair was wet from the shower and a few drops came down onto his chest. "Slept well?" He asked, his arms crossing over his chest as his eyes stared right at me.

"Yes," I answered with many doubts in mind. "Did... ah," he seemed to know exactly what I was about to ask even if I was almost certain we didn't do anything sexual. He smiled as he shook his head and moved to the end of the bed.

"We did not. We're both better than that," he stated as I stretched my arm out into the air. "Although your lips were more than tempting me to let go of my restraints," I could feel my cheeks turn red at his words. "Don't act like you weren't kissing me yourself," he added, making my eyes widen. A chuckle left his mouth as he walked away from the bed and entered his closet.

I sat up in bed, still feeling surreal that I was in Nico's bed out of all people. Did I regret it? Absolutely not. This was probably the nicest hours of sleep I'd ever gotten.

But his reaction to finding me in his bedroom made me feel very eerie in a sense.

No one's playing a game, Brielle. Deceiving people is what we're doing.

What would happen from now on moving forward? I liked Nicolas more than I let myself believe and it seemed as though he liked me more than he let himself believe. Essentially, we were like two peas in a pot. Yet we both knew whatever was attracting us to the other, would have to end. Whether that would be quietly or by crumbling down, was only a matter of time till I'd find out.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy his warmth during the night. For the first time, I felt safe and knew that I didn't need to worry about anything as long as I was with him. It was a strange feeling, to say the least. To know that the man I should loathe and want nothing to do with was actually the only person I wanted to be near during my lows of the night before.

The door opened and Nicolas walked out as he adjusted the cuffs of his black dress shirt. The top hugged the hard muscles of his arms, highlighting the many hours he seemed to be spending at the gym. A button at the very top was left unbuttoned, revealing his collarbones. His devious eyes looked at me as he walked to my side of the bed and towered over me.