183: More than Wars

"Well," Qrow said after a pause, "that was pretty strong. I mean, Likstar told me that same thing, but she didn't say it in that tone."

"What tone?" Winter knew what tone.

"I probably shouldn't have said that." Qrow felt a little bad for playing her. "I just wanted to see what you'd do."

"I hope you're happy then," Winter said angrily, turning away again purposely. 

She rubbed her arm. 

"You know, Ice Queen," Qrow said after a long pause, "we really don't make any sense anyway. We've been enemies pretty much since we met, and the only reason that changed was through  our lives being in danger. That's kind of a pretty big thing to have to intervene, and I'm not sure what that says about our flexibility."

Winter shrugged blandly. "That's a good point."

"I mean, you don't want to say it and be a jerk, but you had to be thinking that," Qrow said. "We don't have that much in common either."

"I suppose not," Winter said.

"I mean, other than saving the world," Qrow said, "and kind of rebelling against our bosses, and wanting to protect our families, and enjoying the occasional brawl."

"I never said I enjoyed that," Winter said.

"You were smiling half the time," Qrow said.

Winter rolled her eyes. "Is there a point to this?"

"I'm just saying, that's not that much in common," Qrow said. "I mean, they're essentials, I guess. But you know, other than that, we got nothing."

"Yes, well, we don't really have interests outside of those things to begin with." Winter realized she was kind of boring. "I don't have hobbies other than teaching Weiss."

"Oh, same. I mean, you can't count video games with Yang and Ruby as a hobby. I'm always too busy working."

"Well, that has to go double for me," Winter said.

"I mean, other than training once in a while," Qrow said.

"Indeed," Winter said. "Who has time for anything else?"

"Yeah," Qrow agreed.

Pause.

"S---, that didn't really make it better," Qrow said.

"Not in the least." Winter had a touch of humor finally.

"I was more ready for you to talk me out of this," Qrow said.

"I have no idea why. I didn't before," Winter said, struggling to stay calm again. "You did plenty of that on your own. Why should I help?"

"Okay, if we could just be honest for a second, you really wouldn't consider it, right?" Qrow said. "I mean, even if I didn't say all that dumb s---. With my past and reputation... I'm not your type."

"I don't have a type," Winter said, flatly. "Your past is no worse than mine at this point. Unless you're claiming my almost becoming part of a dictatorship is nothing. My life would be almost hilariously bleak if not for the DJs bringing us something to hope for again... and since that goes for you also, if you choose to accept it finally, we're not that different."

"And the drinking part?" Qrow had wondered this for some time.

"It's a thing of the past."

"How much did you think about this?" Qrow was actually kind of amazed.

"That part I would have thought anyway."

"I can believe that." Qrow realized that he did. "Huh... Well, I guess I look like an ass."