24: Rise Above It

Shine had been trapped in the room for what must have been an hour or 45 minutes minimum.

It felt twice as long under the circumstances.

She kept praying..."help me...send someone..."

When she could think of nothing else, she tried looking for th others to see if they were close, maybe she could portal someone there to help her.

But everyone seemed to be moving...

Ironwood hadn't returned yet for a while, so she waited.

She watched Winter too...she wasn't leaving the courtyard yet.

She decided not to risk bringing someone to herself until that happened. They might be in the middle of something else.

But this was getting tiresome...

Then she heard a commotion and voices, but whose?

"Hey!" She yelled. "Someone! Help!"

If it was Atlas people, she'd probably not be released...

Her voice didn't seem to carry very far beyond these thick doors.

Just when she wondered if they'd passed, someone started jiggling the door.

Had Penny locked it?

Then it vibrated off its hinges.

"Shine?" Wally hissed. 

"Over here!" Shine almost choked in her relief.

"Oh there you are," Wally sped over. "Hey babe," he put his hand on the cuffs. "Huh...this could hurt you."

"I got it," Shine's aura appeared. "This seems to help, hurry up before it fades."

Wally vibrated the cuffs till they cracked into pieces.

Shine got up, rubbing her wrists. "Ah my feet almost fell asleep," she limped.

"Okay, I know we probably have to go, but how?" Wally asked.

"Penny." Shine said. "Winter ordered her to...I said I might have to try to rescue Fria, the Maiden."

"Maiden? Oh right," Wally snapped his fingers. "You think...but now?"

"I don't know," Shine said.

"Actually maybe," Wally got a bad feeling. "Cinder is here. She left a glass thing. Oh...and everyone on the team is now under arrest. Fugitives."

"All of them?" Shine said.

"Yes," Wally said. "And Ironwood is abandoning Mantle..." he quickly told Shine all else that happened, in like 5 seconds, but she was able to follow it just fine.

"Well...this flipped upside down fast," she said blankly. "One minute this was going well, and the next...that idiot."

"Yeah...I kind of see why he's mad though," Wally said. "But still, arresting them? They didn't do anything that bad."

"Depends on how you look at it, but I think that declaring a bunch of kids fugitives just for disagreeing with him is extreme," Shine said.

"So... are you going to say I told you so..." Wally said. "Because if you're going to gloat, I'd rather you do it here where no one else can hear it than in front of them."