50: Close My Eyes

[AMV by Nath Schnee.... This song was written for Weiss, but I think it fits Winter far better than her, and the show did make them share themes.]

Winter was out for many hours before she woke up finally with a pounding headache that came from pure exhaustion.

It was dark by now.

She'd been having some troubling dreams...flashes of the last few days and visions of things going wrong that hadn't actually happened...but lastly of Weiss, slipping away.

She woke up with tears on her face, and it took a second to remember why, then she sighed and her shoulders slumped.

"Good to see you finally awake, Miss Winter." Klein startled her by coming up to check on her.

"Ho-" Winter's voice was hoarse from the sand and dust and heat, but she cleared her throat. "How long have I been unconscious?"

"Nary 6 hours by now, Miss," Klein said. "Gave us quite a turn."

His eyes changed color. "You should be more careful!" They changed again. "Aw, but of course you've been stressed. It's to be expected."

Winter was well used to his mood swings and paid no mind to them whatsoever. "I suppose I overexerted the magic..."

"About that--" Klein returned to his doctor mode. "I did my best to treat your normal symptoms, some heat exhaustion and lack of rest and water seem to be the chief problems with you. I wouldn't get up too soon. You may feel dizzy. Your Aura was strangely depleted, however. And the effects the magic has on you aren't ones I can trace with my instruments... Perhaps that Mr. Branwen would know more--or that professor who's really a little boy."

"So you know about that?" Winter said.

"I know mostly now. I've been caught up on it," Klein said. "Doing a lot of listening... Your, uh, mother was a bit worried about you also. Shall I tell her you're all right?"

"I don't care one way or the other." Winter still found it strange that her mother was even here...well, she'd be here, she supposed--but actively doing anything. They'd stopped speaking years ago except at very brief moments when she visited Weiss.

While they lacked hostility, Winter really had a low opinion of her, as she judged people by her own standard of what was strong and what was weak.

"Did anything go wrong?" she asked, rubbing her head.

"Nothing much has changed," Klein said. "And no sign of Miss Weiss, yet." His eyes changed. "But I'm sure she'll turn up. She's been through worse than this."

Winter severely doubted that, but she didn't want to burst his bubble, just yet.

"I'd better see to it." She got up.

"Miss, I strongly advise you to take it easy for at least the rest of today," Klein said.

"Nonsense, my Aura is restored." Winter looked at her hands. "There's no reason for me to loiter around like this. I have to oversee the relief efforts."

"Miss, even with your Aura, your new powers may have adverse effects," Klein said. "I've been led to understand that the previous Maiden expended herself by using them, partially. Until you have a handle on them, it would be wise to not exert yourself above usual."

"I'll be fine, Klein," Winter said grimly. "I know my limits."

That was not remotely true, as evidenced by her fainting at all, but Klein didn't get a chance to protest this because she left anyway.