147: Fall Behind

Salem, who was watching Beacon from one of her Seer--grimm, was surprised to see that the Spores had disappeared so quickly.

And even more so to see Oscar running around apparently putting a stop to them. What was the meaning of this?

Rather than being afraid, the people of Vale were actually following him and the others around in astonishment. The other grimm were leaving because the mood had lifted.

Salme threw a chair across the room.

Then she went to where she'd kept that stupid looking book and began to check over it.

Tyrian contacted her in the middle of doing this, to her great annoyance--but his message angered her further.

"She said what exactly?" she frowned at him.

"I knew it was nonsense, your grace," Tyrian said. "But that is what she said to tell you. And to fire me."

He didn't seem to think that was a weird thing to repeat.

Salem ignored that last part, but the idea of that woman throwing this God in her face--she'd been reading about him, and it was all nonsense, she was sure of it.

On the other hand, she knew better than to rule it out. But where was this God? Not here, surely. His little minions must be weak, or they would have done more damage in all this time. She could deal with them. Just as she did with Silver eyed warriors. And all the foes the gods threw in her path.

"What will you do to her for this impudence?" Tyrian was angry.

"Why did you run?" Salem had a better question.

"I..." Tyrian looked oddly puzzled. "I don't exactly know...It was...strange."

It wasn't like him to hesitate ever...Salem didn't like it.

"Surely there was a reason," she said in tone that said punishment was imminent if it wasn't a good one.

"Perhaps she hypnotized me," Tyrian suggested. "She has a strange power about her. A horrible one. It messes with one's mind, till you almost see things that are not there. I could feel it grip me. I had to run or she would have turned me like the others! That's probably why they've gone with them."

"No," Salem said. "If I know them, it's their plan to get the relic...and they had better succeed."

If Cinder got this close and failed, slan was going to do more than just burn her arm...which oddly she hadn't been able to reach in days but she assumed this was Shine's doing also, she had no idea that Victoria was capable of these things.

"How may I serve you?" Tyrian asked.

"For now, you need not do anything," Salem said. "I have a few more plans for those foolish huntsmen. Soon they will beg me for mercy--and then we will crush them."

Tyrian laughed in anticipation. 

Salem ignored him and cut off the connection.

No matter, she hadn't really expected him to be able to stop Likstar anyway. But she only had to wear her down. They were all mere mortals, unlike her, and they'd run out of strength, and then she would get the last two relics.

* * *

Cinder paced impatiently till the teens and Wally and Theo came back.

"It was incredible," Oscar said. "They all were just healed...mostly."

"I've never seen anything like it," Jaune said. But he frowned. "We were too late for a few."