9: What We've Seen

Wally and Pyrrha rejoined Shine and Oscar.

"I'm sorry for running out," Pyrrha said. "It's...personal."

"It's fine," Oscar said. "I get it...this is weird. I'm sorry I snapped at you. I was just freaking out, and I took it out on you."

"But you were right to be appalled," Pyrrha said. "And I want you to know--" She looked at him steadily. "--I regret it now, and I didn't know how bad it would be for someone, or I wouldn't have agreed. I promise, I will never support that ever again. And if you are listening, Professor--" And somehow even someone as sweet as Pyrrha made that scathing. "--I mean it."

"He is listening," Shine said. "And he will respect your wishes, trust me. Or I will drag him out of that body and try him for child endangerment."

Pyrrha thought she almost sounded serious about that.

"You guys, you won't believe what just happened," Oscar said. "Uh...is it okay if Pyrrha knows?"

"If it's fine with you, I trust her," Shine said.

Pyrrha looked at her, then at Wally, who winked like "see?"

"Shine just...controlled Ozpin..." Oscar explained what happened.

"That's amazing," Pyrrha said. "So you can help Oscar then?"

"It looks that way," Shine said.

"That's wonderful for you, Oscar," Pyrrha said. "But why is this a secret? The others would be happy to know there's an answer to this."

"Some of them might be, but as you heard before, not all of them have been very nice about this," Shine said. "I don't care what Qrow thinks he's doing, pushing a 14-year old kid like this is wrong. I've a good mind to tell him so."

"Please don't. He'll think I ratted him out to you on purpose," Oscar said. "I don't want to make trouble."

"You deserve consideration the same as everyone else, Oscar," Shine said. "You're a kid in many ways still--a very mature one, but a kid--and people will not always take you seriously because of that. I wish adults were more fair, but they aren't. Not all of us. It might be that another adult should step in here."

"I think everyone should be kinder to Oscar," Pyrrha said seriously. "He's the reason they found out the truth, isn't he? I heard some of what you said earlier."

"Sorry, we kind of finished talking sooner than you," Wally said.

"It's all right," Oscar said. "I guess everyone else knew, so it wasn't a secret. But I'm still like the enemy to them. Even if they knew Shine could help control it, I'm not sure they'd feel that much better... She can't be around me all the time, and I'm..."

"Not sure they trust us," Shine finished, "right? You don't have to sugarcoat it. I know they don't."

"Why do they suspect us all?" Pyrrha hit her fist into her knee. "I'm their friend! I understand they are scared, but why do they think I would hurt them? And why would they think Oscar would if he's been fighting Ozpin's control to help them?"

"People are weird," Wally said.

"Especially when they are scared," Shine said. "I think they'll come around...but it's also important they know how this is affecting you two. I think you should be honest with them...maybe not all of them, but some of them. They don't know how you feel--it's been too long. They don't know how to handle this, so they'll do stupid things, until you help them understand."

"Do they want to understand?" Oscar asked, almost bitterly. "I've...tried not to be angry about this, but they're treating Pyrrha the same way as me now, and it's...uncomfortable to watch. I still don't know them that well, and I'm not sure... Ruby has tried to be nice to me, but I don't know if the others like me that much."