75: As Long

Winter had planned to return to the troops after leaving the CCT, but Qrow had other plans.

Not that he made her come, but she just followed him until she realized they were going the wrong way.

"Feel free to go, but I have two missions." Qrow made it sound like it was such a chore to do work for Shine. "Scouting around for a hiding place--really, it's like she doesn't trust me at all. Raven gets to tail the weirdos."

Winter thought Shine was pretty good at dishing out karma.

"Perhaps if you made it through one thing she said without complaining," she suggested, "she'd give you more complex things to do... But then, communication was never your strong point."

"Says the person who's also been grounded," Qrow shot back.

"I had a medical excuse. That's completely different." Winter had a good comeback.

Qrow rolled his eyes, then consulted his scroll. "Well, marking off all the places Theo already frequents, doesn't leave the most savory options, but I know a few people around here. Most I wouldn't trust to watch my shoes in a locker room, but in a fight..."

"Was that visual really necessary?" Winter closed her eyes.

"Oh, you're still here?" Qrow pretended he'd forgotten.

"I suppose I should inspect whatever ill reputed establishment you find to make sure it's suitable," Winter said haughtily. "There will be children present."

"Like I can't figure it out," Qrow said, annoyed. "I've got this. You don't need to be here."

"I missed the part where I had to take orders from you," Winter replied coolly. "I'm sure Miss Likstar would trust my assessment more than yours anyway. I can work my way back to the camp from here."

"Just one little problem with that," Qrow said. "Did you forget that Vacuo hates you? You'll blow my cover."

"I'm sure they can't suspect much of anyone going into a...tavern." Winter hated the word "bar".

"If you don't order, sure they will," Qrow said.

"I'll handle it." Winter was starting to get offended by this.

"Oh, sure you will." Qrow didn't buy it. "Well--then again, what am I worried about? You'd never get past the threshold anyway. I'm pretty sure Schnees faint at the sight of riffraff."

"If that were true I wouldn't still be conscious now," Winter shot back hotly.

She really was getting better at the retorts; Qrow had to admit that stung a little.

But, convinced that Winter would certainly lose her nerve once they got close, he decided it would be funny to watch this.

And he had just the place, too.

[Anyone else getting Tangled Snuggly Duckling vibes?]

Winter was not as sure about this as she wanted to sound... She still didn't like this idea and wondered that Miss Likstar was encouraging it at all. Sure, it was a good cover, but were they really going to stoop so low? They couldn't find an inn or something?

[Oh, that's cute--she thinks there's an inn in Vacuo that's not also a tavern.]

One promising establishment, that bore the epithet Half Cocked on the sign outside with an image of a broken gun, seemed like a good place to start.

Winter didn't like the look of it.

"This can't be the best option," she said aloud.

"We're looking for run down," Qrow said. "Something that no one would never expect anyone from Atlas to step inside. Seems like I'm on the right track. And you can just wait here--or better yet, leave."