2: The War Inside

Oscar was able to show them a restaurant that was open--well, it was more like a Café.

"Oh gosh, I could use some caffeine," Wally said.

Music played in the background.

[Would you have resisted that joke?]

"But we don't have money," Shine reminded him.

"I know, but I'm hungry," Wally said. "The jump lag hit."

Oscar glanced at them oddly. "Uh...I mean, I could spot you."

"No, no, we can't ask you to do that when we just met and you think we're here to kidnap you," Shine said.

An old man in the cafe turned to look at them oddly.

"Inside voice, honey," Wally said to Shine.

"So you two are...uh, together, I gather?" Oscar said.

"Yeah, for a few months now," Shine said. "Sorry if we're making it too obvious. Still got that early stages glow, I guess. So, what do you want to know first?"

"Uh...you could start with how the heck you know who I am?" Oscar said.

"Oh, no, that's much too hard," Shine said. "I haven't known you long enough to tell you that."

A pause while he stared at them some more.

"Maybe I should ask what his favorite fairy tale is?" Shine said.

"Huh?" Wally said.

Oscar blinked at Shine.

"I'm doing this all wrong." Shine rubbed her head. "Look, I'm sorry, Oscar--I just can't explain quite how we know you just yet...but it looks as though we were sent here to help you. And you're clearly going through something right now. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I strongly suspect it has to do with your friend upstairs."

She put a finger to her head. "But of course in public you can't go into that. Perhaps we can guess. Did some secret come out that shouldn't have?"

Oscar winced. "Actually it should have, but, now that it has, no one trusts me."

"If you're not going to order, I'd prefer you don't sit in here and take up the table," a barista interrupted them right then.

"Oh..." Shine said.

"It's okay. Uh...what do you guys want? We can just order," Oscar said.

"I'll take 6 espressos," Wally said.

Shine kicked him under the table.

"Can I get one espresso?" Wally said.

The barista raised an eyebrow. "And you?" She looked at Shine.

"Just a regular coffee, or caramel macchiato if you have it," Shine said. "Tall. Extra caramel."

"Plain coffee with sugar," Oscar said.

"Right." The barista walked away, muttering, "Every time it's this hour I get the weirdos."

"Usually you order at the counter..." Wally said.

"Maybe it's different in Remnant," Shine said. "Sorry, where were we?"

"Well...I can't go into it," Oscar said, "but basically, the guy upstairs? He held out a lot on us, and now no one trusts me because they think he might be in control. And he lied...and, uh...so yeah, it looks pretty bleak."

He looked dejected. "Maybe I should never have left the farm... Sorry, it's not your problem..."

"No, I think you'd be crazy not to wonder about all this right now," Shine said. "I mean, you'd have to have some elevated ego not to wonder if you did the right thing."