Part 43

Today was new years day, a big day. The three had plans to drown in as much alcohol as their livers would let them at the pub tonight. Ashley had helped Granda and Kathy decorate the pub a little. Doc had a small TV he brought out for special occasions and he set it up to watch the ball drop at midnight.

Rocco and Mary were coming tonight too, things were getting serious between them, having spent Christmas together, Mary meeting Rocco's mom. It was nice seeing Rocco settle down a bit, Donna had tried to make a reappearance a few times. She had come by, crying about having nowhere to stay and Rocco had let her take his couch for a night here and there but he'd always make her leave first thing in the morning. Mary knew, she felt conflicted about the whole thing but didn't express any of it to Rocco.

The twins stayed home and when Ashley entered the apartment they got quiet. She picked up on it. "Whatcha guys doin'?" She asked suspiciously as she shrugged off her coat. "Nothin lass, how'd it go at the pub?" She narrowed her eyes at the two but decided to let it go. "It was good. The place is all setup. When are we meeting Rocco and Mary?" Murphy glanced at the clock "a couple of hours love, why don't ye start gettin' ready, well go ta that Italian place that ye like so much before we head ta tha pub."

Ashley beamed a smile at the two, it had been a while since they had gone out for dinner, and it had been ages since she'd gone to her favorite Italian place. She passed them both, kissing them quickly before jumping in the shower. She could hear their shushed mutters resume once she was under the water, but couldn't make them out.

It didn't bother her too much, they were after all brothers and could have things between themselves that she wasn't part of. When she pulled back the curtain both brothers looked dazed, Murphy holding his smoke in his hand, letting it burn away as he rubbed his thumb over his bottom lip. Connor stared off as he took a drag off his cigarette.

"Can you guys pass me a towel?" She asked, the question falling on deaf ears. She furrowed her brows at the two. "Guys?" Nothing. She huffed as she walked across the apartment to the bottom drawer of the dresser where they kept the towels. She dried herself off as she watched the two seemingly off into space.

She got dressed, in black jeans, leather combat boots, and a black tank top with Connors red flannel on top. She looked good, she thought as she did a double take and smiled, the boys still off in la la land. She sat at the table with them and started on her makeup. She watched as Murphy's smoke went out, and burned down to the filter "Okay. What is going on? You guys are being so weird." She asked concerned, but also somewhat annoyed.

Connor sighed as he snuffed out his smoke "it's nothin' lass." He got up and stripped to have his shower. She looked back to Murphy who was still fidgeting nervously. She shook her head and rolled her eyes, done with her makeup, and made her way to the bed "Okay." She said annoyed as she leaned on the headboard, pulling out her book.

She watched as the two moved around the apartment, dressing and filling their pockets with keys and smokes and such. "Ye ready love?" Murphy asked, grabbing her coat. She stayed quiet but nodded her head. They all left the apartment and waited for the elevator "shit, forgot me smokes. One minute." She watched Connor run back to the apartment. She was so confused, she had watched him put them in his pocket.

He came back to the two at the elevator with his smokes in his hand just as the doors opened. He took one out and stuck it in his mouth. They all entered the elevator and she watched Connor take the smoke from his mouth and stick it behind his ear. He looked at her with a darkness to his eyes that she recognized, she gave him a small smirk as he closed the gap between them and cupped her face. He kissed her with his usual passion and lightness but she was surprised when his kiss became hungry.