Part 26

TW: MENTIONS OF RAPE.

Rocco knew something was wrong deep in his core, he knew as he pulled up to the pub in the taxi and his car was still parked outside. He knew something was wrong when he tried the door for the pub and it was open before he used the key. As he climbed the stairs to her apartment he felt a wave of dread wash over him, and when he pushed open the door a sinking feeling make him feel like he may pass out.

On the floor was a man, naked and dead in a pool of his own blood. He ripped his eyes from the scene and scanned the room for Ashley, frantic and worried he rushed towards the washroom with no luck as he pulled back the shower curtain. He pushed his voice out of his throat as he called for her. "ASHLEY!" He rushed out of the washroom, his panic flaring and then settling when his eyes landed on Ashley, naked, covered in blood and eerily calm as she stared at the dead man.

"Ashley, hun?" He spoke as he approached her, desperately reaching for her attention. He ripped the blanket off fhe bed and moved towards her to cover her up. As he dropped the blanket over her she seemed to snap out of her state and in the blink of an eye he was staring down the barrel of her gun. He took a instinctive step back and raised his hands. As he looked past the gun, she looked as if she was looking through him, like she didn't even recognize him.

"Hun it- it's me Rocco." She blinked as her aim faltered, the tears collecting in her eyes finally spilling over and running down her cheeks. She dropped the gun with a clatter "Roc?" It came out in barely a whisper, like the air had been stolen from her lungs. He reapproached her gripping her face in his hands, looking for where the blood was coming from and deciphering what was hers and what wasn't.

She squeezed her eyes shut trying to force herself awake, positive that this was all just one of her twisted nightmares. When she opened her eyes again and looked into Rocco's worried eyes she knew that wasn't the case. She pointed towards the counter where the cordless phone sat with a shaky hand, struggling throught the fuzziness threatening to consume her. Rocco followed her point and brought the phone to her.

"What is it hun, the boys?" He looked back to the pale lifeless body sprawled out just feet from the two and she tried to dial through to detective Duffy. "Is... Ashley is that, that fucking Cody guy?" Between the throbbing in her ears and the constant ring she had a hard time listening for the answer in the other end let alone listening to Rocco.

She heard this gruff voice on the other end and realized he must of been sleeping. "Duffy...I...he's... he was..." She stumbled over her words, her line of sight falling over the shell of the man who made her life hell. "He's dead. I.. I killed him. He's in my apartment." She dropped the phone into her lap as her hands fell to her sides, exhaustion taking over her.

She closed her eyes 'only for a minute' she thought to herself 'I just need a minute.' With that she lost consciousness, slumped against the dresser, with a constant flow of blood coming from her head.

Connor and Murphy sat in their beds slowly going out of their minds. If everything was okay they should've heard from Rocco already, but it had been over an hour and nothing. When the phone in their room finally rang Connor reached out desperate to hear their lass on the other end. "Ashley? Lass ye there?" He heard a sigh "it's me man." Conner felt a tightness in his chest at the exhaustion and uneasiness in his voice, Murphy just a few feet away motioning to Connor for some answers. "What's wrong? Where's Ash?" Connor's voice came out strained as he fought the panic, demanding calmness of himself until he knew what was going on.

"Ashley, man. She.. she's okay, I think but..." there was a long pause and some shuffling noises and talking he couldnt make out. "ROC!" He shouted, becoming desperate. "He was here. That guy, Cody. He.. I think he.. fuck man I don't know." Murphy becoming desperate for some information threw one of his pillows at Conner. "What the fuck?" He asked sounding angry, but Conner knew he was just worried and it manifested and presented as anger.