Mei-san and Shi-chan

Just a conversation I imagine would happen between Mei Shijima and her drawing-self. Just to clear up any confusion in this, Mei-san will be the original one who died and  Shijima will be her School Wonder counterpart. 

~~~

Mei Shijima was a sick student. Her illness kept her away from school a lot, so she would work from hospital. She was a care-free bubbly art student with a warm manner. But as she became more and more sick, and her eyes were smudged with sadness and her shoulders seemed lower than usual, a girl appeared. Someone with the same face, the same eyes.. and the same tears.

They first met after Mei fell out of her hospital bed and broke her arm. She still wanted to paint though, it was her comfort hobby. No matter how cold or broken she felt, she knew that tons of painting, sketching and crafting could heal her back up in no time.

A day after the incident, Mei tried to reach for a thin paintbrush but it was just centimetres out of her reach. Mei eventually gave up and laid back on her bed, looking at the curtains above her. She was extremely exhausted, her eyelids felt like heavy sandbags. She closed her eyes and felt something fluffy touching her face..

"Was it this brush you needed?" a girl asked with a soft smile.  She leaned over Mei's face and leaned in close and brushed her nose with the thin paintbrush she originally needed. 

This girl's face looked, familiar.. it was like looking into a mirror but this girl was different. Bits of her hair were loose from her unkempt braids. Round glasses outlined her eyes and a beautifully perfect bow, the same cyan as her eyes, laid upon her chest. 

"Ah.. thank you." Mei flustered, as she outstretched her arm and took the brush with her gentle arms. 

"See you.." the girl softly whispered as she turned around. 

"Wait!" Mei called as she slowly tried to sit up properly, but she was gone. She came just as fast as she left, how odd..

The next time Mei saw her was when she tried to close the window. A quiet breeze on a chilly Autumn night had aggravated Mei so she decided to fix that. Mei delicately stepped out of bed and reached for her IV pole. She took a quick glance at the intravenous bag. Still tons of medicine. Mei made her way towards the window, dragging along the IV pole. Each step she took, the breeze seemed to become icier, like 1000 knives stabbing into her bare toes and dry fingers. 

'My hands? Ah, the skin always becomes dry in colder seasons..' Mei would say, playing it off while she continued stroking her beautiful artwork. She wouldn't stop for nothing.

Once she had made it to the window sill, she reached with one arm to push the window down. However, it must have been old because it wouldn't budge at all. After various tries, she attempted to raise her broken arm. The stretch winced her upper trapezius as she reached further and further, little by little. She was already tired of the cold, but she was just as sleepy.

But suddenly an extra pair of arms reached before her and grasped onto the window too. The delicate and smooth arms worked as though it was nothing. Maybe the window wasn't old, maybe Mei was just weak. Mei turned her head and looked at the girl.

"There" she smiled, the rims of her glasses shiny. It was the same girl who had given her the paintbrush.

"Ah.. thanks.." Mei said as she moved her arm. But as soon as her arm got in the way of her eyesight, she was gone again. How strange..

"Oh, Mei-san, what are you doing out of bed?" the nurse spoke as she hurried into the room.

The next and last appearance was special though. Mei had received some bad news about her visiting sequence. Her was body was become weaker and weaker, so she wasn't allowed visitors anymore, not even her supportive parents. 

As the nurse left the room, Mei's smile faded. Tears swelled in her eyes, and her face went red with pain. She was alone now, she truly was. And now she was crying in a cold hospital, attached to a bed she couldn't leave, with snot dripping down her face.

"You're not alone." a dainty voice spoke from behind her, sitting on the short fencing of her bed. It was her again, the girl with a beautiful face and a shiny personality. 

"I am alone, I've always been alone. No nurses truly care, because once I'm gone they'll just put someone else in my place!" Mei whined, turning to look at the girl who had came to visit her again. 

"You have a point.." the girl laughed quietly. Mei looked at her with a semi-shocked semi upset expression. "But I'm here." she said. Reaching across to grab some tissues. The girl wiped away Mei's tears and placed an arm around her shoulders. 

Mei turned around and rested her head on the girl's chest. Now that she was being comforted by anyone, literally a stranger who seemed like an angelic doppelganger, she let it all out. She sobbed and weeped and her shoulders shaked as groans of monochrome depression was released.

"Hey, hey, you're getting my blazer wet.." the girl joked, as she pulled Mei closer. "Poor soul.."

"Say.." Mei whimpered, wrapped her arms around the girl. "Just who are you?"

The girl knew instantly who she was. She knew from the second she was born. Mei had leaned into her Atelier Tower sketch and whispered her only wish from that point on. Maybe Mei didn't recognise her, nor remember that moment with her slow amnesia, but the girl could never forget the task she was delivered to succeed. Keep this girl safe. And she would do anything to keep Mei warm and happy. 

"My name is Mei Shijima" the girl smiled, as she kissed the top of Mei's head.