Chapter Twelve

Sam, Bucky, and I sprint down the empty terminal, passing kiosks and coffee stands that were abandoned in a hurry. The man in the red and blue suit lands on outside of the windows, sticking to them as he crawls along like a spider.

"What the hell is that?" Bucky asks.

"Everyone's got a gimmick now," Sam replies.

Spiderman jumps forward as he shoots a web, using it to swing and crash through the window ahead of us, showering broken glass everywhere. I throw my arms up in reflex, protecting my face from the shards, as Spiderman swings passed me to kick Sam to the floor. Bucky throws a punch with his metal arm as we turn to face the threat, but Spiderman catches it like a baseball. My eyes go wide with shock.

"You have a metal arm?" Spiderman asks Bucky, moving his whole arm to the side to get a better look. "That's awesome, dude!"

My shock turns to horror as I realize that Spiderman is not a man at all, but a teenage boy, and the look on Bucky's face says that he's thinking the same thing. Not wanting to hurt the kid, I don't use my powers, and instead, I kick him in the abdomen, pushing him into Sam's path as he flies off, taking Spiderman with him.

"You have the right to remain silent!" Spiderman shouts at Sam as Bucky and I hurry after them.

Spiderman smothers Sam's face with his forearm, managing to free himself from Sam's grip and uses his webs to swing through the rafters, accidentally knocking down a large sign before landing on one of the high beams. Sam rolls in the air, aiming his guns behind him and firing at Spiderman, who dodges the bullets by swinging over to the next beam. At that moment, Bucky grabs the fallen sign, launching it at Spiderman before ducking behind a nearby pillar.

"Oh, God!" Spiderman exclaims, somehow sensing the sign soaring toward his back and ducking out of the way in time. "Hey buddy, I think you lost this!"

Spiderman uses his webs to fling the sign back, not realizing that Bucky took cover and that I'm the one standing out in the open. The sign comes straight at me, and I shoot a vertical wave of energy from my fingertips, slicing it straight through the middle. Sam soars in, taking Spiderman by surprise as he kicks him from the beam and flies them both further down the terminal. Bucky appears by my side a moment later, his hands finding my arms as he frantically searches me for injury.

"I'm okay," I assure him before pulling him along after Sam.

Spiderman sails over Sam, firing a burst of webbing at one of Sam's thrusters. Sam's jetpack fails, and he crashes through a kiosk before hitting the floor. Seeing Spiderman swinging toward him, Sam scrambles to his feet, only to have Spiderman web his wrists to the nearby railing before he can do anything.

"Those wings carbon fiber?" Spiderman questions, sticking to the side of a cylindrical information sign.

"Is this stuff coming out of you?" Sam asks instead, glancing down at the webbing on his arms.

"That would explain the rigidity-flexibility ratio," Spiderman continues, "which, gotta say, that's awesome, man."

"I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's usually not this much talking." Sam scolds, growing impatient.

"Alright, sorry, my bad," Spiderman replies, swinging down to kick Sam as we finally catch up.

Bucky jumps in the way, taking the brunt of the blow as both men smash through the glass railing, falling to the level below. Before either of them can get up, Spiderman webs them to the floor, and I duck behind a nearby post, hoping to go unnoticed as I wait for the right opportunity to attack.

Spiderman lands on top of a pillar, looking down at my friends. "Guys, look, I'd love to keep this up, but I've only got one job here today and I gotta impress Mr. Stark, so, I'm really sorry."

As Spiderman aims his wrist at them, I take that as my cue to step in, teleporting myself to the top of the pillar. Spiderman takes a step back, startled by my sudden appearance.

"Woah, it's you!" Spiderman exclaims. "Sorry about throwing that sign at you, I thought you were the other guy!"

"That's alright," I reply with a mischievous smile. "Consider this payback."

Before he can say or do anything, I grab his wrists and teleport us high into the air. In one quick motion, I tuck and roll, pooling energy at the base of my feet and stomping Spiderman in the chest, launching him through the nearby window. Using the momentum from the impact, I backflip back onto the pillar before jumping down to the lower level, landing between my two friends.

"Well, well, it looks like you two got yourselves into a sticky situation," I joke.

"I hate you," Sam replies.

I laugh. "No, you don't."

The two men look annoyed, having just been bested by a teenager, but as I laugh at my own joke, their faces soften.

"No, I don't," Sam assures me.

"You couldn't have done that earlier?" Bucky asks.

"He was a kid," I explain, lightly kicking his boot. "I didn't want to hurt him. And besides, I was trying to conserve my energy. This isn't the real fight."

Bucky nods in understanding before gesturing to his webbed metal arm. "Can you get us out of this, please?"

"Yeah, hang on," I reply, focusing my energy around the thin strands of webbing wrapped around my friends' limbs and disintegrating them from their place. The men get to their feet, and I lead them toward the exit. "Let's go. We need to catch up with Steve."