Chapter Eight

Steve, Agent Maria Hill, and I watch through the observation windows as the surgeons attempt to save Fury's life. Behind us, toward the back of the dark observation room, Sitwell and Rumlow stand in silence, giving us the space we need.

Suddenly, Natasha bursts into the room, coming to a stop next to us. Her face contorts with shock and worry as she sees the state Fury's in.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asks, not moving her eyes from Fury's unconscious form on the operating table.

"I don't know," Steve replies.

"He was stable when we left the apartment," I add, hoping to calm her.

"Tell me about the shooter," Natasha quietly demands.

"He's fast," Steve responds. "Strong. Had a metal arm."

A vision flashes through my mind. A dark, winding road, and a masked assailant shooting out our tires. My last mission before coming out of cryostasis.

"Ballistics?" Natasha asks, still watching the surgeons.

"Three slugs, no rifling," Hill tells her. "Completely untraceable."

"Soviet-made," Natasha states.

"Yeah," Hill confirms, glancing over at Natasha with a curious look in her eye.

In the operating room, Fury's condition begins to deteriorate, and we watch in horror as Fury flatlines.

"Don't do this to me, Nick," Natasha whispers as the nurses bring over the crash cart.

One of the surgeons grabs the paddles, holding them against Fury's bare chest in attempt to revive him.

"Don't do this to me, Nick," Natasha pleads. "Don't do this to me."

Her pleads are unheard, and Steve turns away from the window as the surgeons call Fury's time of death. Natasha, Hill, and I stand in disbelief, tears forming in our eyes.

The early morning sun peaks through the window as the nurse wheels Fury's body into the small, empty room. Natasha moves to stand at Fury's side, tears in her eyes, and Steve and I hang back, giving her space to say her last goodbyes.

I keep going over every detail of what happened. I did everything I was supposed to do, everything step-by-step, just like how I was trained, and Fury was stable when we left the apartment.

How could he die? I silently ask myself. What did I miss?

Steve notices my expression. "Are you alright?"

"I did everything correctly," I whisper. "I don't understand how this could've happened."

Steve offers me a comforting smile. "It was out of your hands. These things happen sometimes, it's not your fault."

I shake make head. "No, it's not that I'm blaming myself. I'm saying it doesn't add up. I must've missed something."

Steve glances at Fury's body, thinking it over, but before he can reply, Hill walks into the room.

"I need to take him," she gently informs us.

Steve nods, stepping forward. "Natasha."

Natasha doesn't respond. Instead, she gingerly places her hand on Fury's forehead before turning and exiting the room. Steve and I follow her.

"Natasha!" I call after her. "Natasha, wait!"

She stops, spinning around to face us. "Why was Fury in your apartment?"

"I don't know," Steve answers.

Rumlow appears at our side before Natasha can respond. "Cap, they want you back at SHIELD."

"Yeah," Steve replies, "give me a second."

"They want you now," Rumlow insists.

"Okay," Steve says, dismissing him.

Rumlow nods, quickly glancing at me before walking back down the hallway to join his team. I watch him as he goes.

"You're a terrible liar," Natasha tells Steve with a smirk. It quickly drops as she spins on her heel, storming off.

Once she's out of earshot, I turn to Steve, carefully pulling the flash drive from my pocket. "We can't bring this back to SHIELD."

"You're right," Steve agrees. "We need to hide it somewhere."

The rustle of foil packaging draws my attention, and I turn to see a man reloading a vending machine. After glancing around to make sure no one is looking, I quickly slip the flash drive behind the row of gum.

Satisfied with the temporary hiding place, Steve and I march down the hallway toward the STRIKE team.

"Let's go," Steve orders Rumlow.

"Yeah," Rumlow replies, falling into step with us. "STRIKE, move it out."