Chapter Four

All night, sleep evades me as I process Steve's comment, wondering if I truly have feelings for Bucky. We grew up together, so of course we would be close, but I was upset last night when I saw we had dates. Was I jealous that he had another girl on his arm? Or was I just disappointed that it wasn't just the three of us, like old times?

I wake up in a daze and I drag my exhausted body out of bed and into the shower, letting the warm jets of water wake me up as the steam fills the tiny, blue-walled room. After turning off the water, I step out onto the white mosaic tile, and I wrap a towel around my body before heading back to my bedroom.

The sun is shining brightly through the thin curtain when I enter, giving the pale-yellow wallpaper a soft glow. I finish drying off before heading to the far side of the room to find my white nurse's dress from the wardrobe and pull it on. Standing in front of my mirror, I roll my hair and swipe on some Victory Red lipstick. Before the war, I rarely wore makeup, but red lips have become a symbol of patriotism, and something about the colour makes me feel powerful and optimistic during these challenging times.

Finally pinning my cap in place, I give myself a final look in the mirror, checking for anything out of place. No wrinkles, no stains or marks, no stray stands of hair. Satisfied with my appearance, I grab an apple from the kitchen before racing out the door.

Arriving at the hospital, I check-in at the nurses' station before grabbing my clipboard. A few of my colleagues are already here, and I greet them before heading into the ward to begin my rounds. I make my way through my daily tasks, checking in on the post-op patients, arranging consultations with the doctors, and administering medication where needed. A few patients are ready to be discharged, so I collect their paperwork and send them home with their loved ones.

I became a nurse shortly after graduating high school. The war had just started, and many nurses were needed abroad, leaving the hospitals short staffed, so I enrolled in the training program to help replenish the need for them here. My mother, as well as Steve's, were both nurses, so they had a huge influence on me. Growing up, I watched them heal people with their own two hands, and I knew I wanted to do the same, so I followed in their footsteps. On the other had, I had a lot of practice already, patching up Steve's injuries from the constant fights and bullying.

I head into the records room to store the stack of paperwork in my arms. The room is small, with shelves lining every wall and standing side-by-side in the centre. I pull a box from a shelf in the far corner and carefully place one of the files into it.

"Um, Y/n?" another nurse asks as she pokes her head around the shelf in front of me. "There's a Steve Rogers looking for you. He's at the nurse's station."

I sigh in annoyance, dropping my head towards the floor and mumbling, "Steve, what did you get yourself into this time?"

The nurse leads me into the reception area, and I'm surprised to see my friend, not only without a bloody nose or black eye, but wearing a soldier's uniform, the too-large olive-green jacket and slacks draping off his scrawny frame.

"Y/n!" Steve exclaims as his eyes find mine. "I was recruited!"

"What?!" I shout in surprise, earning a look from the nurses behind the desk. I apologize to them before turning back to Steve. "What do you mean you were recruited? How?"

"It's a long story," my friend says. "But I'm off to Jersey for training and I wanted to let you know."

"Steve..." I start.

"Look," he says, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder, "I know you're worried about me, but it'll be okay."

I take a deep breath. "Just be careful, okay? Don't go picking any fights if you can help it."

He laughs at my joke. "Thanks for understanding. I've got to go. They're expecting me this afternoon."

He pulls me in for a quick hug before turning to walk away.

As I watch Steve's retreating back, I'm suddenly aware that in under twenty-four hours, both of my best friends have been sent off to war, and I don't know when, or if, I will ever see them again.