Chapter Twenty-Three

The team gathers in the lab, surrounding the table where our newly built Infinity Gauntlet waits.

"All right," Rocket says. "The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?"

Thor doesn't hesitate. "I'll do it."

"Excuse me?" Scott asks.

"It's okay," Thor replies, stepping toward the Gauntlet.

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait," Steve orders as we all move to stop him. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

Thor glances at us in confusion, slowly becoming irritated. "I'm sorry. What, are we just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

"We should at least discuss it," Scott reasons.

"No, no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back," Thor argues. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."

"It's not about that," Tony tells him.

"It's not that..." Thor replies. "Stop it! Just let me!" Thor begins to tear up. "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look," Tony reasons. "It's not just the fact that the glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you, you're in no condition."

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor demands.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodes quips.

"Lightning," Thor corrects.

"Lightning won't help you, pal," Banner informs him. "It's gotta be me. You saw what those Stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"I could," I state. "I've been exposed to a Stone before. My powers stem from the Space Stone, remember?"

"That's only one Stone," Steve reasons. "This time, it will be six."

"I know," I reply.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Banner questions.

I take a deep breath, glancing at each face in the room but only seeing the faces of those we lost. "Yes."

I approach the Gauntlet, lifting it from the table.

"Remember," Tony reminds me, "everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago and just bring them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years."

"Right," I nod.

The others suit up, placing shields in front of them, as Tony turns to his AI. "FRIDAY, do me a favour and activate Barn Door Protocol, will you?"

"Yes, boss," FRIDAY responds through the speakers, lowering metal doors over the windows and locking us in the building.

"Everyone comes home," I state.

Slowly, I slide my hand into the Gauntlet, and as it meets my skin, streaks of rainbow light travel up my arm, making their way to my neck. The pain is excruciating, and I scream out. My friends shout at me to take it off, but I tune them out, finding the will to continue.

Everything I've been through, everything I've sacrificed, it all led me to this moment, prepared me for it. I am stronger than this. Without fear, I let my powers take control, my pain vanishing as it consumes me. I open my eyes, turning my gaze to the Gauntlet on my hand as I snap my fingers.

There's a bright flash of light, and my friends rush forward as I collapse to the ground, the Gauntlet slipping from my hand. Barton kicks it away as it sizzles from the heat of the Stones.

"Y/n!" Steve shouts, reaching my side.

"I'm okay," I tell him, sitting up. A sudden sharp pain shoots up my arm, and I lift my sleeve to see black stripes etched into my skin where the power streaked up my body. "Did it work?"

"Worth a shot," Thor states. "It's over. It's okay."

The metal doors retract, and Scott walks toward the wall of windows as Barton picks his ringing phone up off the table, bursting into tears of relief as he sees the caller ID.

"Guys!" Scott calls out. "I think it worked!"

But no one has a chance to celebrate before the missile hits the building, sinking us into the ground.