Chapter Nineteen

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," Fury states, looking down at the photo of Pierce in his hand. "He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha reminds us.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury replies, placing a briefcase on the table and opening it to show us the three computer chips sitting inside.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized," Hill explains.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury adds, gesturing to the computer chips.

"One or two won't cut it," Hill continues. "We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA," Fury states. "We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left—"

"No," I interrupt. "We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it," Fury argues.

"You gave us this mission," Steve states firmly, coming to my aid. "This is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave?" Fury asks. "I noticed."

"And how many paid the price before you did?" I demand.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes," Fury admits, taking a breath.

"Even if you did, would you have told us?" I ask him. "Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"They're right," Hill agrees, turning to Fury.

Fury looks around the room, each one of our teammates agreeing that SHIELD needs to go.

"Don't look at me," Sam says when Fury's gaze falls on him. "I do what they do, just slower."

Fury leans back in his chair, looking at me and Steve. "Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now."

1936.

Off in the distance, church bells ring as Bucky and I wait on the street for Steve, still dressed in our best clothes. After the funeral service ended, Steve disappeared, but we decide to wait for him by his apartment, knowing that he would show up eventually.

When Steve finally appears, coming around the nearby corner and walking in our direction, we fall into step beside him, letting him lead us down the alley to the back of the building.

"We looked for you after," Bucky tells him as we climb the balcony stairs to the second-story apartments. "My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery."

"I know, I'm sorry," Steve apologizes. "I just... kind of wanted to be alone."

"We understand," I assure him. "How was it?"

"It was okay," Steve replies. "She's next to dad."

"I was gonna ask..." Bucky starts as we reach Steve's door.

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck," Steve cuts him off, searching his pockets for his key. "I just..."

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids," Bucky gently argues. "It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash."

Realizing Steve lost his key, Bucky kicks away a nearby brick, revealing the spare key hidden below. He picks it up, handing it to Steve.

"Come on," I encourage Steve. "I'll cook dinner. I'll even make your favourite."

Steve takes the key from Bucky's hand, thinking the offer over. "Thank you, guys, but I can get by on my own."

"The thing is, you don't have to," Bucky tells him, placing his hand on Steve's shoulder. "We're with you till the end of the line, pal."

I wrap my arms around my best friends. "Till the end of the line."

My thoughts are interrupted as Sam joins me and Steve on the bridge of the dam, looking out over the water below.

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam asks.

"We know," Steve assures him.

"We need to help him," I state. "If the Insight Launch is successful, HYDRA won't need him anymore... They'll kill him."

"Look," Sam warns, "whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop."

"I don't know if I can do that," Steve admits.

"Well, he might not give you a choice," Sam argues. "He doesn't know you."

"Whether he knows us or not, we need to get him out of there," I state. "If the roles were reversed, he would do the same for us."

"Steve gives me a reassuring nod. "We will. Gear up, it's time."

"You gonna wear that?" Sam asks as we walk away.

"No," Steve smiles back. "If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform."