Chapter Twenty-Six

I glance over my shoulder to see Y/n standing next to Stark, the Stones swirling around her hand. I race toward her, shooting the aliens that get in my way, but before I can reach her, she snaps her fingers. A bright flash of light blinds me as a loud, metallic clang rings out, and I catch Y/n as she falls, pulling her into my lap as Thanos and his army turn to dust.

"Bucky?" Y/n asks weakly, her eyes looking but not seeing.

"I'm here," I tell her, resting my hand against her cheek.

"I'm so sorry," she breathes as Steve kneels beside me, the other gathering around us. "I just couldn't lose anyone else."

"I understand," I choke, trying to hold myself together. "You don't need to apologize."

"Bucky?" Y/n asks, barely a whisper. "I love y..."

Her words trail off as she closes her eyes and her body goes limp.

"No," I plead. "Y/n, no. Please, no!"

The tears fall freely from my eyes as I pull her into my chest.

---

I wake up in a pool of water, laying under an orange sky. Climbing to my feet, I see that the pool stretches to the horizon in every direction, the only landmark being a small station sitting a few feet away. Slowly, I approach it, finding a figure sitting on a bench, their back to me.

"Natasha?" I ask.

She turns to face me, a smile on her face as she stands to hug me. "Y/n. Did we win?"

"Yes," I tell her.

"What did it cost?"

"It doesn't matter. It was worth it."

Natasha gives me a small smile, pulling me over to sit with her on the bench.

"What is this place?" I ask.

She thinks for a moment. "I'm not sure. I woke up her after Vormir."

"I tried to bring you back, you know," I tell her. "When I brought everyone else back, I tried to bring you back too. It didn't work."

Natasha sadly smiles. "I can't go back. A soul needed to be sacrificed to get the Soul Stone, and it couldn't be Barton. His family still needs him, but mine will be okay without me... If my sacrifice helped bring Yelena back, it was worth it."

I nod in understanding, and we sit in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company until a bright, white light suddenly appears in front of us.

"It's time for you to go," Natasha states, gazing at the light.

"Go where?" I ask her.

Natasha's jade eyes find mine. "Forward."

"Come with me," I offer.

She shakes my head. "It's not my time."

"Always so cryptic," I joke, standing from the bench before pulling her into one last hug. "Goodbye, Nat."

"Goodbye, Y/n."

I approach the light, turning back to Natasha one last time. She smiles, and with a final nod, I step into the light.