Chapter Twenty-Two

When I reach the control centre of the helicarrier, I'm confronted by the Winter Soldier standing across the catwalk, blocking my way to the targeting blades.

"Bucky, this isn't you," I try to reason. "This is HYDRA. They took control of you, and if I don't stop them, a lot of people are going to die."

The Soldier doesn't move, he just stares at me with no recognition in his eyes.

"Please, Bucky," I beg. "You know me. Please don't make me do this."

Slowly, I inch my way forward, and the Soldier springs into action, pulling out his gun to shoot me. I block the bullet with my powers as I move in, blocking more bullets as the Soldier continues to shoot. For a moment, my powers faulter, and a bullet grazes my side, but I ignore the pain as I launch a bolt of energy at the Soldier, hitting him in the chest.

Switching up his tactics, the Soldier pulls out a knife, swinging it at me in quick, little arcs. I block his attacks with my arms, looping my leg around his torso and spinning us around before blasting him to the other end of the catwalk.

I spin on my heel, running for the control panel to insert the computer chip. The targeting blades slide down, and I take the chip from my pocket. But, as I'm about to insert it into its port, I'm yanked away by my hair. The Soldier kicks me in the stomach, knocking the chip from my hand and flipping me over the railing of the catwalk.

I land on the glass floor with a thud, barely having enough time to roll out of the way as the Soldier jumps down, landing exactly where I was laying. He pulls out his gun, but I shield myself from the bullets as he opens fire.

Spotting the chip laying nearby, I urgently crawl toward it, but the Soldier grabs my leg and pulls me back, grabbing the chip himself. I surround the Soldier with my powers, forcing him to his knees as I try to pry the chip from his fingers.

"Drop it!" I order, but the Soldier's metal fingers close tightly around the chip. "Drop it, now!"

Running out of time, I climb onto the Soldier's back, getting him into a headlock and holding him to the floor with my powers. The Soldier struggles to free himself, and I find myself mumbling soft apologies as a few tears form in the corners of my eyes.

The Soldier slowly runs out of oxygen, and he releases the chip as he passes out. I shake my head clear and lunge for it, tucking it in my pocket before climbing back up to the control panel.

"Thirty seconds!" Hill warns.

"Stand by," I reply, reaching the catwalk.

A bullet whizzes past my head as I dash for the control panel, embedding itself in the curved metal above. Stealing a glance back, I see that the Winter Soldier has regained consciousness, and I form a bubble of protection around me as I slip the computer chip into the targeting blade, overriding the system.

"Charlie lock," I tell Hill.

"Okay, get out of there," she replies.

"Fire now," I order.

Hill tries to argue. "But—"

"Do it!" I demand. "Do it now!"

Explosions boom as the helicarriers fire on each other, and the room begins to crumble down around me. I take a step toward the catwalk as an agonizing yell reaches my ears, and I look down to see a fallen beam has trapped the Soldier below.

I hurry down to help him out from under the rubble, and the Soldier looks at me with fear and confusion as I approach, but he continues to try to free himself. Thinking back to the moment with the missile, I place my hand on the beam, trying to remember what I felt when the missile turned to air. Slowly but surely, the beam fades from existence, allowing the Soldier to crawl across the floor. I release the hold on my powers, and sure enough, the beam reappears.

The Soldier stumbles back, cradling his right arm close to his chest. It protrudes strangely from his shoulder, and I realize it was dislocated when the beam fell on him. I take a few steps toward the Soldier, raising my hands in defense, but he doesn't move, glaring at me with confusion and hatred.

"You know me," I tell him. "You've known me your whole life."

"No, I don't!" the Soldier growls, lashing out in anger.

I catch his fist with my powers, pinning his arm to his side. "Your name is James Buchanan Barnes."

"Shut up!" the Soldier yells, trying to throw a punch with his dislocated arm. I pin it to his side as well.

"I know they hurt you," I state. "HYDRA hurt you for remembering. But you're safe now, they can't hurt you anymore."

"You're my mission!" the Soldier yells, struggling to get free. "You're my mission!"

I force the Soldier to his knees, crouching down in front of him and cupping his face in my hands. "You're safe now. They can't hurt you anymore. You know who I am. Come back to me. Please, baby, just come back to me. Everything will be okay, I'm with you till the end of the line, remember?"

The Winter Soldier's blue eyes suddenly widen in recognition, and I know that my words triggered something in his mind. I release him from my hold just as another beam falls, breaking the glass floor, and I fall to the river below.

When I regain consciousness, I'm laying on the shore, choking up water. I roll to my side, the water spilling out of my lungs. Regaining my breath, I look up to see Bucky walking away.

"Hey, wait!" I shout, getting to my feet to run after him. He turns as I approach. "Do you know me?"

"I... don't know," Bucky admits, his gaze cast to the ground. "You feel... familiar."

I nod with a soft smile, taking a step forward to fix his dislocated shoulder. He flinches at my movement, taking a step back.

"Woah, woah, hey. It's okay," I soothe, raising my hands. "I can help you. Please, let me help you."

Before he can reply, a voice shouts my name. "Y/n?!"

I turn toward the sound just as Natasha bursts through the trees. Seeing the Soldier, she pulls her gun from its holster, aiming at him.

"Don't shoot!" I order, stepping between them. "Natasha, don't shoot!"

With a quick glance between me and Bucky, Natasha lowers her weapon.

"Y/n?!" Steve and Sam's voices call in the distance. "Y/n?!"

"He needs my help," I tell Natasha, nodding at Bucky over my shoulder.

Natasha nods in understanding. "Go."

I smile at her in thanks before turning back to Bucky, urging him to follow. We disappear into the trees as Steve and Sam find Natasha at the water's edge.