Chapter Four

The early morning sunlight peaks through the door of my hut, waking me as it shines across my eyelids. Bucky holds me close to his chest, and the precious memories of last night swim through my mind. I smile softly as I shift onto my back, Bucky's arm tightening around me as he pulls me closer to bury his face in my neck.

"Good morning," he mumbles, his voice thick with sleep.

"Good morning to you, too," I reply. "Did I wake you?"

"No," Bucky answers, finally opening his eyes and noticing the smile on my face. "What's got you so happy this morning?"

"Oh, nothing," I tease. "Just thinking about last night..."

"Oh?" Bucky responds, shifting to hover over me and placing a kiss on my neck. "You'll have to remind me."

A sly grin spreads across my face as I kick my leg out and around his waist, rolling us over so I'm perched on top of him. His initial surprise fades, and he chuckles, pulling my face down to kiss me.

When Bucky and I wake the second time, the sun is much higher in the sky. We slide from the bedroll to get dressed, Bucky pulling on a red robe and wrapping a dark blue fabric around his left shoulder as I dress myself in a plain t-shirt and comfortable shorts. After braiding back my hair, I help Bucky with his, tying it away from his face.

"Are you ready?" I ask, walking around to face him.

Bucky takes a deep breath before glancing at the doorway. "I think so."

I take his hand as I lead us outside, a few children greeting us cheerfully as they play nearby. We smile at them as they pass, our eyes shifting to the figure by the lake.

"Good morning, Y/n, Sergeant Barnes," Shuri greets us as we approach her.

"Bucky," he softly corrects her.

Shuri gives him a small smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Good..." Bucky replies. "Thank you."

Shuri's smile widens as she begins to lead us away. "Come. Much more for you to learn."

The following year flashes by as we settle into our new lives in Wakanda. Every morning is spent cradled in each other's arms, making up for the seventy years we've spent apart. Afterward, I'll hurry up to the palace to continue training with the Dora as Bucky tends to the flock of goats given to him by the royal family.

The afternoons are spent together, learning about the new world and discovering all that Wakanda has to offer. Sometimes, Shuri invites us to her lab to test her new inventions, or sometimes just to teach us more about pop culture. However, no matter what the day brings, we always sit outside our hut to watch the sun set across the lake.

It's a simple life, but it brings Bucky peace to know his decisions are his own and I'm grateful for every moment I get to spend with him.