Epilogue

Betrayal. Hurt. Confusion. Anxiety. Anger. Sadness.

That's what I felt when I read his letter.

I spent a lot of days alone in my room with mind destroying anger. I kept asking myself over and over how he could do that to me. How he could abandon me after all that we've been through. After all those times I told him that he was all I needed.

Dumbledore let me inside his chambers to collect my belongings after the wedding. At that time all I felt was anger. The fire inside me only got bigger when I saw the empty rooms. His books, gone. His clothing, gone. His toothbrush, gone. Everything was gone. Only my completely packed suitcases were standing in the middle of the room. I remember Dumbledore expressing sadness over Severus' departure and trying to make small talk with me. He told me that he hoped Severus would return one day. If I recall correctly I said something along the lines of 'I hope he launched himself into space and exploded in the Milky Way.'

When the anger passed was when I really lost myself. I missed him. I missed him so much that I didn't know if I was going to make it every day. My heart was shattered to pieces and made my insides bleed out. All I could do was cry and stare blankly at the walls. I read his letter over and over again, desperately hoping and praying for different words to appear. They stayed the same.

It was a few weeks later when I pushed myself to distract myself. I was cleaning out my closet, throwing old clothes away and ordening the rest. When I was doing the same with my shoes, I realised that I was missing the right shoe from one of my favourite pairs. I searched my whole room and then my house. It was nowhere to be found. I figured that I might have left it in my dorm at Hogwarts and so I went back there one last time. The new school year had already started and there was one room made available for all of the lost and found items.

I went through all of the boxes in that room but could not find my shoe. Out of exhaustion, I almost started crying again. Fortunately I was interrupted by Dumbledore. 'Miss y/l/n.' He had said. 'You might want to check this one. See if anything stands out to you.'

I thanked him but said that I had already checked all of the boxes. But when I turned around to face him, I realised he was holding a new one. 'I had cleaners go through his chambers, they found some forgotten items.' He handed me the box and left the room.

I immediately saw my lost shoe and grabbed it. When I lifted it, my eyes fell on a small piece of paper. Or more specifically, a leaflet. Tears started welling up in my eyes upon seeing the drawing I made of Severus and I in the dooropening of the small house covered in flowers.

My eyes wandered over the leaflet when I suddenly noticed something scribbled onto it. Something that I didn't write. It was almost impossible to read but I knew instantly what it said: 'this is it'.

My heart leapt with joy. It couldn't be. Could it? I was afraid to let the feeling in but I did it anyway. I finally felt hope again. I knew I had to go there. I had to try.

So here I am now.

I just hopped off the bus after a long journey to Étretat. I still don't know what to say to him if he opens the door. I still don't know what to do if it isn't him opening the door. My heart is beating loudly in my chest as I make my way towards the cottage. The village is everything I hoped it would be. The view is magical and the people seem to be very friendly.

I finally make it towards the front door. It looks exactly like it did in the leaflet. My hand starts to rise in order to knock, but I freeze. My heart is pounding. My lungs seem to have forgotten how to breathe. What ifs come creeping into my mind. I shake my head to rid myself of those thoughts and knock on the door.

I hear nothing for a while. Only the sound of birds chirping and waves crashing onto shore fills my ears. Until I hear faint footsteps coming from behind the door. They get closer and closer. Every creak of approaching footsteps on the wooden floor makes my heart beat louder. The doorknob squeaks on the other side of the door. Then it finally flies open.

My eyes can't believe what they're seeing. Black hair. Dark, familiar eyes. Lips I've been craving to kiss again. His delicious scent fills my nose. It's him. Tears immediately run down my cheeks. I can't move, I can't speak. All emotions are hitting me at once, all fighting for my attention. He seems to be in shock as well, his gaze keeps switching from one corner of my body to another.

One emotion takes overhand for a second. My body regains access to the ability to move and I use it. I waste no time and slap him hard across his face. "Arsehole." I say angrily.

He reaches for his sore cheek and looks me in the eyes. "I deserved that." His beautiful low voice sounds like music to my ears. I've longed to hear it for months.

Anger quickly makes way for love and I can't stop myself from throwing myself into his arms. He closes his arms around me and squeezes tightly. "Don't you fucking dare to ever walk away from me again." I whisper against his chest.

I hear him sigh deeply out of relief. His hand makes its way to the nape of my neck and presses me even tighter against him. "I'm so sorry."

I feel him press a long kiss on the top of my head. My heart glows happily and I melt into his embrace.

A few weeks later

I yawn as I'm standing in the kitchen in a big black shirt, making pancakes. Two strong arms snake around my waist and pull me back against a warm chest. Butterflies fly around in my stomach as he squeezes me against him. His lips press against my temple before he covers my hand with his, helping me put the pancake on the plate. "Looks delicious, darling." He whispers sweetly in my ear.

I walk to the fridge to grab a can of whipped cream. "Really? I thought you didn't like sweet food in the morning." I respond with a teasing smile on my face.

"I love everything you do or make." His raw morning voice sounds sweet in my ears.

I spray a face on the two pancakes I made and put some fruit on top of it. "Well then come outside and eat John."

The two of us sit down on the terrace in our garden, warmly lit by the morning sun. "Tu es si belle sous le soleil français du matin, ma charmante épouse." Severus compliments sweetly. His French is coming along much better than mine. As I cut my pancake, my eyes fall on the new ring on my finger. I smile happily at the memory of marrying Severus right here in our garden just yesterday. I wore a simple white sundress and he wore the biggest smile I've ever seen on him.

"Would my husband like to go for a walk on the beach after breakfast?" I ask after finishing a bite of my pancake.

He smiles at me from across the table. "Hmm I'd love to... but first..." he says while standing up before pulling me off of my chair and lifting me up bridal style. His lips come down on mine passionately as he walks us back inside. "I need to make love to my wife." He whispers hungrily.

I giggle as I look into his eyes. "Again?"

"I can't keep my hands off of you, darling." He smirks before laying me down on the bed.

"You can't keep me in our bed forever, Sev." I respond happily as he kisses my neck tenderly.

"Ohh I think I can." He kisses my jaw softly. "I'm keeping you here forever... and always."