Chapter Eighteen

Herrmann's house was surprisingly clean for them having four boys living there. It was warm and inviting and smelled of warm candles and the mouth watering scent of meatloaf. "Make yourself at home, dinner should be ready shortly," Cindy motioned to the couch. "I hope you like meatloaf."

"I love meatloaf," I softly smiled as I placed my hand over my heart. As Cindy disappeared into the Kitchen, Herrmann entered the house, shut the door behind him, and stormed up to me.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Herrmann lowly hissed.

"I believe I'm being wined and dined by your stunning wife," I teased. "Seriously, Herrmann, if I weren't straight, I'd be competition."

"Was this your plan? To come over here and get under my skin?"

"Kinda," I shrugged. "However, I didn't expect to be fed, so that is a first." Herrmann grumbled to himself as he ran his hand down his face with frustration.

"Okay. You eat, tell her how good it was, thank her, and get the hell out of my house, got it?"

"Got it," I nodded.

"I mean it, no staying for desert, no telling stories, nothing."

"Wait, there's desert?"

"Kids, dinner!" Cindy called out. The entire house seemed to tremble as four young boys rushed into the living room and into the dining area, unaware of my existence. I entered the dining area and took an empty seat, the boys suddenly looked up at me and the rowdy table fell silent. "Wow, I need you to come over more often."

"I have that effect on people," I teased.

"Boys, stop staring," Cindy hissed.

"Dad, who is she?" The oldest boy asked.

"She's—" Herrmann began.

"I'm Zahra Bennett, I work with your dad at 51."

"You do?" The youngest boy asked with a smile.

"Oh yeah, we're total besties." I turned and looked at Herrman. "Ain't that right, Herrmann?"

"Yup," Herrmann responded in a low growl. Herrmann finally sat down between me and his oldest son as Cindy began passing around the food.

"So, you know me, what are your names?"

"Oh, sorry," Cindy giggled. "That's Lee, he's our oldest." Cindy motioned to a tall, brown haired boy. "And that is Luke," Luke was a bit younger than Lee, maybe twelve years old, but practically Lee's twin. "And that's Max." Max was an adorable, chunky face boy with big blue eyes and a cute flannel trucker's hat on his head; I just wanted to pinch his cheeks. "And that's Kenny." Kenny was the youngest of the boys with orange hair, blue eyes, and chunky cheeks like Kenny.

"You have a lovely family," I smiled to Cindy and turned back to the kids. "It's nice to meet you all."

"I like your hair," Kenny smiled as he reached for it.

"Kenny, no!" Cindy hissed.

"It's okay," I reassured. "I'm used to people touching it, they can't believe it's not a weave or a wig. All mine." Kenny gently touched my curls and smiled as it bounced against his hand.

"Are you mixed?" Lee asked.

"Lee!" Cindy snapped.

"Nope, all black," I smiled.

"I am so sorry, they don't usually act like this."

"It's okay," I reassured once more. "Curiosity is the fuel for discovery, inquiry, and learning." When everyone got their food, everyone but me and Herrmann lowered their heads and linked hands.