Chapter Twenty Eight

"You mean to tell me that I fell through a roof, hurt my arm, and nearly died and all you got to do was put out a trash can fire?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was kind of a slow day," K'eon chuckled, but then his face dropped. "And now I've jinxed it."

"Yeah, for those on second watch at your station," I laughed. "Man, where is that damn Dr. Choi with my x-rays? I wanna go back to the firehouse."

"Seriously? You nearly died!"

"And? I'm still on shift."

"You are absolutely unbelievable."

"Have you been home yet? I left a note for you to pick up Boromir from the firehouse."

"Um...no?" K'eon motioned to his uniform. "I gotta go back to the firehouse and return my gear after this. My lieutenant wasn't happy, but he understood it was an emergency. Just don't make a habit out of this."

"Yes, sir," I smirked.

"So, what poor bastard's life was worth risking yours? And please say it was Brian."

"Actually...it was Herrmann."

"The grumpy old guy?" K'eon snapped. "You nearly died for that grumpy old fuck?"

"Yes, and I'd do it again. I don't get to pick and choose who I save, K'eon, I just do my job."

"I know," K'eon angrily sighed. "I hate you've got morals, you know that?" I shrugged one arm in amusement. "That prick better start treating you better at least or I swear I'll—" A gentle knock at the door caused K'eon and I to look up. To my surprise, Herrmann was standing in the doorway, still in his dust covered bunker gear.

"Herrmann," I softly smiled. "How are you?"

"I-I'm good," Herrmann gently nodded.

"Did Boden send you to get evaluated?"

"No, Shay and Dawson evaluated me and said I didn't need any medical assistance." The room fell awkwardly silent.

"Well, I think I'm gonna see what's taking Dr. Choi and Dr. McDreamy so long." Herrmann stepped out of the way and K'eon left the med bay, shutting the door behind him.

"H-How are you?" Herrmann asked.

"I'm okay," I reassured. "Just a cut on my head and a dislocated shoulder. I'm waiting for x-rays to confirm that before they'll pop it back in place." Herrmann removed his helmet and slowly walked over to the side of the bed, sitting down in the chair where K'eon was just moments ago.

"I, uh...I never got to thank you for what you did today."

"Herrmann—"

"No," Herrmann shook his head. "Just—just hear me out, okay?" I gently nodded and Herrmann continued. "I—what I said to you on the roof, that wasn't right. Not one bit of it. But what you said, there was some truth to it. I've had my fair share of experiences with women firefighters, and almost all of them couldn't handle the job and quit or didn't get offered a full time position after their probation period...so I expected the same from you...but you started proving yourself and became the shiny new toy of Ladder 51. I guess you can say I was...jealous. I mean, it took me months to prove myself, but you? You're a natural at this, every single bit of it. Also, look at you. You're young and fit and I'm just...old and, well...I've got a lot of miles on me.

The way I treated you, not just on the roof, but since day one, was absolutely unacceptable and I'm so—" Herrman's voice cracked. "—so sorry. I mean, you were just trying to fit in and do your job, and I treated you like dirt, like you weren't worth anything, and you took it. I can't ever take that back. I'm so sorry, Zahra. I'm so sorry."