Chapter Ten

"I cannot believe this," Boden scowled as he paced back and forth behind his desk, his hands on his hips in frustration.

"Chief—" I began.

"I am not finished!" Boden glared at me and I shrunk into myself in silence. "I cannot, will not, believe that you two are already been at each other's throats! It's been four hours! And you!" Boden turned and stared Herrmann down, his eyebrows furrowed as he pointed at him. "You know better!" Herrmann hung his head low. "I have half the mind to suspend you both!"

"Chief!" Herrmann began.

"Don't even start, Herrmann! You know better than to exhibit that form of behavior! And that fitness challenge? No! It is not happening!"

"But Chief, she—"

"It was my idea, Chief," I interrupted. Herrmann looked at me with instant confusion.

"Zahra?" Boden asked with surprise.

"I came here and saw you all have this close relationship, but I couldn't seem to find a way to get my toe through the front door. I just wanted to prove that I'm worthy of that." Boden looked me over with skepticism. "I meant no harm. I just thought some friendly competition was a good way to break the ice."

"Herrmann, you have anything to add?"

"N-No, Chief," Herrmann lowly responded. "Just like she said, some friendly competition, is all." Boden let out a sigh and averted his gaze to the floor.

"Get out, you're dismissed." Herrmann and I turned to leave. "Not you, Zahra." I turned back to Boden and stood silently. As soon as his office door was shut, Boden walked to the front of his desk, stood in front of me, and sighed. "Why?"

"Chief, I—" I began.

"The truth, Zahra."

"I was telling the truth, Chief—"

"Stop. I'm old, not stupid or deaf. You don't think I heard the comments Herrmann has said? I was waiting for you to come to me about it, as you should have the moment he started in on you."

"Why? So I can be the person he claims me to be? Nothing but trouble? I'm not like that, Chief. I've dealt with sexist bullshit in firehouses since I first became an EMT. The only thing that stopped it was proving that I could handle myself. That's why I issued the challenge. I wanted to prove I'm a good firefighter, even if I am a woman."

"Zahra—"

"You've been in this game for a long time, Chief, you know how female firefighters are perceived. They're weak, too small, can't hack it. I earned my certification just like everyone else; I just wanna be treated as an equal, with respect."

"If you want respect, it has to be earned," Chief nodded. "Casey and I saw that you were struggling, that's why he brought up the restaurant."

"That was planned?"

"No, but it was necessary. You were giving them the wet-behind-the-ears vibe and they weren't comfortable with it. If you didn't give them something, they would've kept giving you the cold shoulder." The room fell silent. I was listening to Boden but, at the same time, I was trying to decide whether or not I was mad at him and Casey for violating my privacy. "I can guarantee they're gonna start treating you different after today."

"Chief—"

"And if you tell them about—"

"No," I interrupted.

"Zahra—"

"I'm not using pity and sympathy to earn their respect."

"Sympathy?" Boden's face softened. "You lost someone that day." Images instantly flashed before my eyes. The towers, the explosions, the bodies...Jamal.