Chapter Twenty Five

I jolted awake as Boromir let out a frantic bark. I looked around the room and found him by the bedroom door, practically pacing back and forth. I let out a yawn, grabbed my phone, and let Boromir out of my room, watching as he raced for the back door. I checked the back yard for a moment before opening the sliding door. Boromir instantly zoomed out and hiked his leg next to the fence.

I looked down at my phone and smiled, remembering mine and Otis' late night phone call. It was the best sleep I've gotten in a long time, but I couldn't rely on him to help me every night. I needed to get a better grasp on things, but then I thought about having that conversation with Dr. Charles and cringed. He seems like a nice guy, I'm not doubting that, but since the last time I saw one, I just didn't like shrinks. They try to help, but can't. They try to tell you something's wrong with you when there's not. It's just not my cup of tea.

Boromir finally returned to me and entered the house. I instantly groaned at the sight of muddy footprints. I shut and locked the back door and chased Boromir through the house, dragging him to the bathroom so I could give him a bath before tackling the floor, knowing K'eon would have an absolute cow if he saw a single one.

"Big day today, Boromir," I smiled. "Are you ready to work?" Boromir instantly attacked me with kisses and zoomed off to the bedroom. "This isn't exactly star behavior, Boromir, you need to be on your best behavior today or Boden will make me take you home."

I grabbed a bag of Boromir's favorite treats and entered my room. I let out a whistle and Boromir instantly looked at me. "Sit." Boromir instantly sat down and I gave him a treat. "See? Hard work pays off. You work and do good and you'll get all the treats. Got it?" I held out my hand and Boromir put im his paw into it, allowing me to shake it. "Good. I'm glad we've reached an understanding."

I gathered my clothes and made my way into the bathroom and began to undress for a shower. I looked down at my phone as it lit up, but it was just a spam email. "You too could lose fifteen pounds in five days!" I instantly scoffed and swiped the notification away. As I went to turn my screen off, I stopped as an old notification caught my eye. It was a text from Otis that I had gotten sometime after I had fallen asleep.

𝙱𝚁𝙸𝙰𝙽: 𝚈𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚗𝚊 𝚋𝚎 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚘𝚍𝚊𝚢. 𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

I softly smiled and swiped away the notification and climbed into the shower. The hot water normally melted away my stress, but for the first time in forever, I woke up feeling energized and ready to take on the day. The bathroom filled with the scent of my orchid scented shampoo and my mango and citrus body wash. Once clean and dried off, I put my hair into a simple curly updo and smiled.

My phone began to vibrate and I looked down. To my surprise, it was Otis, but instead of calling or texting, it was a video call. I quickly wrapped myself up in a towel and answered.

"Thank you for calling Miguel's Mortuary and Taco Stand where yesterday's grief is today's beef."

"I...what?" Otis laughed. "Wait, are you naked?"

"Hey, you called me, I will ask the questions here." I smirked. "And what do I owe the pleasure, Mr. Zvonecek?"

"Look at this shit." Otis flipped his camera around and showed the tires on his car. "Some prick slashed my tires last night!"

"In the rain?"

"I know! That's what I said!"

"How many of them?"

"All of them. Ugh, I hate this!"

"You have insurance, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

BURNED - A Chicago Fire Fanfictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें