Chapter Two

"You okay?" K'eon asked as we got to work on preparing lunch.

"Yeah," I answered.

"You zoned out back there."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Guess I was just shocked. Made me wonder what that guy's been through."

"Not much we can do about it, unfortunately."

"Yeah. I wonder if—"

"Stop," K'eon intervened. "If you go down that road, you're gonna be driving for miles until you find a spot to turn around." The kitchen fell silent. "I sympathize with him, I do, but if we get emotionally attached to our patients, they'll drag us down with them. That guy? Obviously something bad happened to him. He uses drugs to deal with the physical pain as well as the emotional one. He can't be helped by us."

"Jamal used to always say that rehab's for people who want it, not for people who need it."

"And he was right. That guy is just like all the other ODs we see out there. They have to want the help or nothing will ever change."

"Well, what do we have here?" Harris smirked as he and the others entered the lounge. "Our two favorite ladies hard at work in the kitchen."

"Really? I don't see you cooking, boo boo," K'eon teased. Harris began to storm towards K'eon but stopped when Chief Jackson entered the room.

"Jiménez, did you turn in your paperwork from the fire?" Chief Jackson asked.

"Just finishing it up, Chief," Jiménez answered.

"Good. I need any and all reports on my desk by the end of the shift, understood?"

"Yes, Chief." Chief Jackson turned his attention to K'eon.

"Everything good here?"

"Yes, Chief, just finishing up lunch prep," K'eon answered.

"Which is?"

"Sliders with your choice of lunchmeat, cheese, and toppings. Ham, turkey, bologna, and roast beef; American cheese, Colby Jack, and provolone; mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions; Hawaiian Buns or regular buns all served with a small bag of chips and a can of soda of your choice."

"Very good," Chief nodded and turned to everyone. "Get cleaned up. And Harris? You're on bathroom duty."

"What?" Harris snarled. "I'm not a probie, make Greer do it!"

"Greer would normally do it, but considering your attitude, as of late, I think the job is best suited for you. You will scrub the bathroom from top to bottom until it is clean enough to serve soup from the toilets or I will make you clean it again. Is that understood?" Harris didn't respond. "Is that understood?!"

"Yes, Chief," Harris scoffed. Chief Jackson stepped closer to Harris, closing the distance between them, and put his finger in his face.

"It's attitude like that..." Chief Jackson shook his head. "As long as you keep that attitude and you're in my house, you'll never make lieutenant." Harris chewed on his lip in agitation. "After you're done with the bathroom, you can wash the trucks. All of them. Got it?"

"Yes, Chief," Harris muttered.

"K'eon, you will wash the linens and make the beds."

"Yes, Chief," K'eon nodded.

"And Zahra, you can wash the windows and take out the trash."

"Chief, Zahra is innocent in this," K'eon intervened. "The argument was just—"