Chapter Twenty Six

I watched from the window as the school bus pulled up to the property, parking just outside the fire station so the kids could gather on the sidewalk. I had contacted the school days ago and asked for a total number of people showing up and, by my count, everyone had showed up. "Oof, big class," Herrmann spoke up from beside me. "I'm glad I'm not doing this."

"Oh come on, you love kids," I scoffed.

"I do, but I got out of field trip duty," Herrmann playfully smacked my upper back and began to walk away.

"Christopher Herrmann, did you just joke with me?" I smirked.

"Don't take it personal, kid, I still don't like or trust you."

"Eh, I think you like me more than you're willing to admit."

"I admit nothing."

"Whatever you say, bestie." I made my way outside and stood patiently as the class finished roll call on the sidewalk. A few moments later, the group of kids and their teacher made their way over to me, stopping a few feet in front of me.

"Good afternoon, class!" I smiled happily. "My name is Firefighter Bennett and I am so excited that you guys get to be here with me today."

"Can everyone say hello, Firefighter Bennett?" The teacher, Mrs. Abbott smiled.

"Hello, Firefighter Bennett," The class said in unison.

"Well, aren't you all just so polite. What are you, eighth graders?"

"Noooo!" The class laughed.

"We're first graders!" A girl called out.

"First graders? Psh, no way! You all are so grown for your age. Before you know it, you'll be looking at college applications." The class giggled. "Okay, so before we enter the firehouse, I have a few things to discuss, but first, I want to introduce you to my partner." I let out a loud whistle and Boromir came running out of the firehouse wearing his own firefighter gear with matching helmet. The kids awed and laughed as Boromir ran a circle around me before finally sitting at my feet.

"This is Firefighter Bo," I smiled. "Can everyone say hi to Bo?"

"Hello Firefighter Bo!"

"Great. Bo is here to help teach us fire safety, so it's going to be a fun day. Now, I do have some rules. First off, even though we are going to have fun today, we are also here to learn. I know things will get exciting and you all can get a little too excited and get off track, so when I need your full attention, I'm going to clap twice and you all will need to clap three times to show me you're listening. Let's practice." I clapped twice and the class clapped three times.

"Amazing, you're all so smart," I smiled. "Second, this is still an active firehouse. Inside there are firefighters and paramedics who are on duty and can get a call at any moment. So, when we go in, we need to be mindful of the doorways and not block the hallways so they can get to where they need to be at any given moment. Got it?"

"Yes, Firefighter Bennett!" The class answered.

"Good deal. Also, when you get inside, you will be given a little bag. Inside will be five gold tokens. Each time I ask a question, I need you to raise your hands if you know the answer. If you get it right, you get a gold token. If I ask you for assistance and you help, you'll also earn a gold token. I'm starting you off with five so everyone will leave here with something." A student raised their hand. "Yes?"

"What do the tokens do?" The student asked.

"Very good question. So, at the end of the tour, I will take you to a little room called the briefing room, which Chief Boden has graciously allowed me to turn into the Little Firefighter's Store. It's only open during your time here, so don't try and show up after school for some freebies. If I can't get free pizza, you don't get free goodies." The class began to laugh. "Alright, I think that's all the rules. Everyone ready?"