Chapter Twenty

An alarm sounded overhead making everyone fall silent. "Truck 51, ambulance 61, entrapment, 8828 South Marshfield Avenue," Dispatch announced.

"Herrmie, your shirt!" I exclaimed as everyone rushed to the trucks.

"Hell no!" Herrmann protested. "I'm not wearing this!"

"Fine, deal with the kids Tuesday."

"Boden!"

"Wear it until shift ends or you're helping," Boden smirked. Herrmann loudly groaned and climbed into his shirt, following Boden and me out into the garage.

"Candidate, hurry up!" Casey called out.

"Yes, Lieutenant," I answered back as I rushed into my bunker gear.

"We need to get onto dispatch," Mouch grunted as he hiked up his pants. "We can't know what we're walking into just going off of 'entrapment.'"

"It's an entrapment, Mouch, that's all we need to know," Casey said as he climbed into the truck.

"Button up, Buttercup!" I laughed. "This just means we might get to use the big saw or the jaws of life!" Everyone climbed into the trucks and we sped off the property towards the scene.

"Hey guys?" Severide called out over the radio. "This isn't a typical entrapment."

"What are you talking about?" Casey responded.

"It's not a MVA. According to dispatch, it's an appendage."

"Oh come on," Herrmann groaned. "We're getting called because some idiot got his foot stuck in a damn toilet?"

"It could be anything, Herrmann," Mills informed. "It could be a kid that has their head stuck in the bars of a staircase."

"Yeah, or a hand caught in a garbage disposal," I nodded.

"Severide, get out of my office," Boden's voice butted in over the radio.

"...Sorry, Chief," Severide chuckled.

"And make yourself useful and wash 81."

"Yes, Chief," Severide deadpanned.

"This will be an easy call," Otis reassured.

"Hope so," Herrmann scoffed. "These calls are so stupid.

"Hey, Zahra?" Cruz spoke up from the driver's seat. "What's for lunch?"

"We're about to remove an unknown appendage from an unknown object and you're worried about lunch?" I chuckled.

"No, I just figured you'd like a day off from cooking lunch."

"Please say you're not volunteering to cook," Mouch groaned.

"No, I just thought that we could order delivery, or something. Seeing that she's new to Chicago, figuratively speaking, I thought it'd be a great idea to show off how we do things here in Chicago."

"If everyone else is game, I'm in," I smiled.

"Run it by Boden after the call," Casey nodded. A few moments later, we arrived at the scene. It was a nice single story brick house with a brick house on each side of it, but the street was void of any people other than us.

"Prank call?" Otis asked.

"Not sure," Casey muttered. We all climbed out of the truck and looked up and down the street. Sure enough, the area was clear.

"We should check the house," Mouch suggested. We all followed Casey as he led us over to the front porch. We waited down the steps as he knocked on the front door.