Chapter 32

Chapter 32

The outcry for Gellert Grindelwald's head was immense. The ICW had held some of the longest meetings in its history following the days of the Triwizard Tournament. It was during these meetings the world was shown just what the magical juggernauts had accomplished in the graveyard. The world was also shown just what Harry and his brother had endured in those final moments, and how much the oldest Potter son was prepared to sacrifice in order to ensure his brother's safety. It was unanimously agreed that no Dark Wizard could possibly have made that sacrifice, but the same was not being said about Gellert.

Surviving members of the Great War, and even families of the fallen during the war, publicly ostracized the ICW for not taking the man in for his war crimes. It was true that he was guilty of his past indiscretions, but the question of who was capable of arresting him was left unanswered. Many had cried out for Dumbledore's intervention, but the headmaster had admitted to the public that despite having bested the man all those years ago at the end of the Great War, Grindelwald was now beyond him, especially after training Harry as hard as he had for the last seven years. He doubted there was a man alive, other than Harry Potter, that could take on the magical titan even in his old age, and expected any attempt to try would inevitably lead to mass bloodshed.

As word continued to spread, with more and more opinions reaching the various newspapers daily, Harry realized they may have done their job too well against Voldemort. Gellert and Harry had always predicted that the reign of Voldemort would return, and that he would wreak havoc on the Wizarding World for a while before Harry was given a chance to defeat the monster. Having defeated him in a near private ceremony before he could ascend to his previous horrifying power did not leave a grateful Wizarding Community as they had expected. The gratitude only extended to Harry, and the young man suspected that had Justin not become possessed at the end of the battle he would also still be facing the public's fury.

Being a wanted man was something that would be decided today in a court of the ICW. Harry straightened his robes that held the Potter family crest on them. Looking himself over in the mirror in his bedroom he gently ran his fingers across the newest addition to his outfit. On his lapel was a gift from Grindelwald, a simple piece carved in solid silver, the symbol of the Deathly Hallows. At first, Harry thought it was being antagonistic, but he, as well as his mentor, knew that no one alive stood a chance against him now. He would not be silent in his beliefs, nor would he bow to the demands of the ICW. This trial was something Harry intended to participate in for the sake of his family. As far as Harry was concerned every wizard they sent after him at this point knew exactly what they were getting into, and the consequences of raising a wand toward him would be lethal.

It was mostly for the sake of Fleur and Justin that Harry had decided to face the jury. It would be an easier life for them both if Harry was able to casually walk through the streets with them without being accosted. Truth be told, Harry wasn't certain if that would ever be an option. After the memory had been released to the public by the British Ministry of Magic, people were calling the Potter brothers heroes. Calls for Orders of Merlin, and titles were being shouted down the streets of Diagon Alley, but still, the International Community wanted a piece of Harry.

Harry had already cleared his name for the deaths of Igor Karkaroff and Marcus Flint by making magical oaths, and submitting to veritaserum questioning by the Minister for Magic: Amelia Bones herself. It was enough for the woman to issue him a pardon when she became interim Minister, and Harry knew that regardless of the outcome of this trial he would be safe in Britain, which was why he demanded the trial be held in his home country if they wished for him to attend.

A knock on his door drew him out of his thoughts as he called out permission to enter. In the mirror, the face of his fiance appeared. Turning to face the woman he offered her a small smile, as she asked with a nervous expression, "Are you ready?"