79. "So, sour candies?"

Levi let the water out of the tub and turned on the tap. Satisfied, he looked at his toes under the little waterfall. After the extra long shower and washing his feet several times, there really didn't seem to be a grain of sand stuck to him or between his toes now. He had actually had a picnic on the beach with his family on his children's birthday. He would have liked to give them something. Underwear, for example. "But if the two of them are actually still growing and Naoki doesn't wear it here ..." That was why Levi had decided to buy them presents when they were back in town. They would certainly need new clothes when they went to school. "The school year starts in late summer and the first term is over in spring," Steve had explained to him. "I guess it'll be spring then. At the earliest," Levi thought and smirked. Out of the corner of his eye he had spotted Ayumi's figure in the doorway. As he had so often in the last hour.

After a generous breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon and fish, they had set off for the sea together with Toshi. Levi had slowly accepted Toshi's presence. The young man was no danger to him at all. Because Toshi saw Ayumi more as a kind of mother substitute. And his own children had adopted him as a big brother. His father had a lot to do with fishing. His grandfather had peacefully passed away last year. And since his sister Yoko had left the valley, Toshi spent even more time on the tea plantations, making tea, in the sales shop, and thus with Levi's family.

"Don't forget to make a wish," Toshi had called out to Natsuki as she was about to blow out her candle.

"Then I wish for you to be with Luise," Natsuki had replied.

"Thank you, Natsuki," Toshi had pouted. "Wishes you tell don't come true." Luise's father was Ayumi's business partner at the small hotel in the harbour. And the reason Toshi had decided to cut his hair off completely after years. He also wanted to please Luise's father. And so Levi had completely misunderstood the scene when Ayumi once tousled Toshi's hair in front of the sales shop. It was the first time Ayumi had seen the boy with such short hair.

"But I can help you." Natsuki was contrite, trying to make up for her mistake. "Well, I can pretend to drown. And then you save me. And then you'll definitely be her hero," Levi's daughter had explained, handing Toshi a piece of her fruitcake.

"Name me one person who lives by the sea and can't swim," Toshi had said, shaking his head and immediately regretting his statement.

Levi had tried to concentrate on Ayumi's embrace. She had sat behind him and alternately stroked his arms or his thighs. He liked these caresses and they had distracted him from this sandy environment. But now all eyes were on him.

"Well, you know, those ... who were born here. Like you, Natsuki," Toshi had tried to save himself. "And Luise knows you." He stood up. "Are we going diving?"

"Yeah," Natsuki had shouted as she jumped up and ran into the sea.

Toshi followed her. "Come on, Nao!"

But Naoki stayed a little longer with his parents. To his father's relief, the boy had worn shorts for once today and was not sitting naked on the blanket. Naoki had continued to look at his father. Even as he slowly bent to his candle and blew it out. His grin had been met by narrowed eyes from Levi. He could guess what his son had wished for. Still, he could not be angry with his son. After all, Naoki had made sure that Levi and Ayumi went home alone. His son had asked again if he could spend the night on the beach. Together with his sister and Toshi.

"What?," Levi asked his wife, reaching down beside him. Over the edge of the bathtub he had laid down his towel.

"Nothing. Are you going to turn into a water sprite or are you soon finished?" But Ayumi's mouth kept moving from left to right. "Like in the old days." When she wanted to talk about something and just didn't know how to start.