27. "Take cover!"

Warning: This chapter contains scenes of dying soldiers. If you are too young or do not want to read this, please skip this chapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter checked the tightened saddle girth one last time. But as he was about to grab the reins, he caught nothing but the air. Astonished, he looked at the horse's head and saw Erwin standing in front of his borrowed horse. The Commander had taken the reins.

"Haven't you forgotten something?," his cousin wanted to know from him.

The quick appearance of Erwin had taken Peter by surprise. He had hoped that Erwin would not know of his absence for another hour or two. Speechless, he remained standing in front of his younger cousin. But it was exactly this behaviour that showed Erwin that his older cousin was hiding something from him. Again.

Nile Dok shook his head and raised his hands defensively when Erwin's cool gaze met him. "Leave me out of this. I was just providing the horses. And that is my duty when the safety of the people is at risk," he explained.

"Well, if the safety of the people is at risk, then I suppose as Commander of the Scout Regiment I should be informed of current events. Right, Peter?" Erwin's tone could cut trees.

Dot Pixis ran his hand over his moustache and muttered to Paul: "Like an old married couple. One has secretly spent the money on good wine or pretty clothes. The other found out about it."

Paul grinned and patted the head of his borrowed horse. However, having long since noticed that both Levi and Mike were blocking the entrance to the stables, he quietly asked Dot Pixis: "Sir, perhaps you should clarify this situation. Not that we are wasting any more time."

Commander Pixis nodded, but before he could speak, Erwin had already addressed him.

"Commander Pixis, it seems to me that one of my new members does not yet know that he is not allowed to leave without his Commander's permission. Would you be so kind to inform me of the situation?"

"Well, I have been notified that there are unusual happenings at Wall Maria. For days there has been a Titan trying to get inside through the escape gates," Pixis began.

Levi's eyebrows narrowed. "Escape gates?" That was the first he'd heard of that.

"It always seems to be the same Titan. At first we thought we had chased him away with cannons. But now the same Titan seems to have appeared at another escape gate. I asked Captain Peter and Paul to accompany me. Firstly, they know more about Titans than I do, and secondly, they are better trained in fighting Titans than my soldiers. However, I had forgotten to inform their Commander about this."

Peter looked down in embarrassment. Pixis was lying for him. When the meetings between the Commanders and representatives of the government as well as the church had ended after two days, Peter and Paul had kept Commander Pixis company. It was not difficult to get Pixis' full attention. After all, Peter was in possession of a noble and rare wine, which they wanted to drink with the Commander of the Garrison Regiment. But before he could remove the cork, soldiers of the Garrison Regiment informed their Commander that a Titan would again try to get through one of the escape gates. Now the unopened and noble wine bottle was in Pixi's saddlebag and the Commander of the Garrison Regiment had agreed that Peter and Paul would accompany him.

"If that's the case, Levi should take care of this Titan," Erwin replied, realising out of the corner of his eye that Peter did not like Levi's company in this operation. "What are you hiding?" Erwin looked to Nile Dok. "Nile, could you please lend us two more horses?"