21. "It's up to me now, isn't it?"

"Oi!" Levi had stopped Jimmy, who was helping the farrier with his work. "Where's Chagara?" He hadn't been able to find her in her room, the common room or the kitchen.

"I don't know, Levi Heichou," the boy replied, wanting to take the next horse to the farrier.

"Have you seen her today?," Levi wanted to know.

"Mh, this morning she was cleaning out the stable." Noticing the Heichou's questioning look, Jimmy quietly explained, "Chagara's punishment for an undefined period of time. Because she went away from the troop without permission on the last expedition."

Levi nodded. "Do you still have trainings now?"

"No." Jimmy shook his head. "But maybe she's training on her own," he said to him as he passed.

Levi left the stable and walked towards the training ground. Should he laugh or cry? Chagara had to clean out the stable every day, just like he had at the beginning of the year. Only with her it was for an undefined period of time. Should he talk to Peter? After all, he was somehow responsible for it. But would it be all right with Chagara? According to his first impression: No. He would get into trouble. And he didn't even know if she was angry with him now.

The sun had almost set when Levi reached the training ground. No team was to be seen any more. Some soldiers were probably still sitting in the dining hall, the majority had certainly already returned to their rooms or the common room. The soldiers with more responsibility, however, would be sitting at their desks doing paperwork for a long time. As he was about to leave the area again, he thought he recognised a shadow. Was someone walking there? Levi looked intensely into the distance. Indeed. Someone was walking there. And he came towards Levi with tired steps. Judging by the size, it could only be Chagara. Why did she have to go to the limit and beyond? Or had she disobeyed orders again and had to run several laps as punishment?

Alongside this concern, however, he also felt a slight tingling sensation. He hadn't seen her since his trip to Shadis. And then only for a few minutes. When he noticed her staggering, he nervously reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out his bunch of keys. Where was the key to the equipment shed?

Chagara had reached her destination. She was finished. Trembling, she sank to the ground and tried to take a deep breath. She couldn't. She would throw up. Why had she done extra training? To forget the day. But had it been worth it? Two boots entered her field of vision. Someone crouched down and in the next second was holding her face in their hands. "Quite bad," Chagara thought, looking through narrowed eyes at her opposite. Levi.

She choked with surprise and in the next moment felt the contents of her stomach rise. She slapped his hands away. Just in time before a brown liquid burst out of her. With a disgusted look on his face, Levi stood up. Chagara tried to grab hold of his leg, but Levi would not be stopped. She was left alone, puking her guts out. Tears streamed down her tensed face. "You could have stayed here." Exhausted, she fell back on her feet and stared up at the sky.

Greedily she sucked in the cool evening air. "It's not like I'm infectious," she muttered with her eyes closed and winced as something cold touched her forehead. Chagara tore her eyes open and saw Levi holding out a cool cloth to her.

"Clean yourself up," he ordered.

Chagara shakily grabbed the rag and wiped her mouth thoroughly with it. As she stood on wobbly legs, she heard only a loud splash beside her. Levi had washed away her vomit with a bucket of water. He indicated to her to throw the used rag into the bucket. Chagara obeyed again.