67. "But who are the good ones?"

Despite the sun's rays, Levi was shivering. He had vomited up his breakfast two hours ago. Fortunately, he had made it to his bathroom in time. And now he supported himself against the fountain with trembling hands. How many times had he practised the conversation in his head over the past weeks? And today, when it was really important, he couldn't think of anything. His head was empty. Three steps ahead of him walked Ayumi. Chatting. Since early this morning. And his answers were always: "Mh."

It was the end of February. The soldiers of the Scout Regiment had five days off. Just as Erwin had declared on New Year's Eve. A week ago, Levi had told Ayumi that they would spend the days off somewhere else. She had been in high spirits ever since. But her good mood had caused Levi to have doubts. "What if she doesn't like the house at all? Or what if everything goes too fast for her?" For days, these questions had been on Levi's mind. Because the house was not all. Levi had more planned.

Ayumi stretched her arms towards the sky, smiling. It was unusually warm for this time of the year. As she whirled around to her boyfriend, her backpack hopped, too. "Levi, when are you telling me where we're going? Out of town, perhaps?" But the cheerfulness vanished when she noticed her boyfriend's cadaverous face.

"Levi," she hurried worriedly to her boyfriend, who was holding a hand in front of his mouth. He was retching. "Come on, let's go back. You're not feeling well. You've been acting weird since this morning." Ayumi stroked his back and wanted to go back.

But Levi shook his head. "It, it's not far now." He looked past his girlfriend. "Actually, you're almost there."

"Okay," Ayumi said quietly. "But when we arrive, you'll lie down first."

Levi walked on slowly.

"And if it doesn't get better, we'll go back." She followed him.

Levi nodded and took a deep breath. They stood in front of their house.

"Or I'll get the horses and take you back that way," Ayumi pondered. "Maybe that's better." She looked at the house. Behind the building seemed to be a fenced garden. The gate was open and so Ayumi could see the small lawn. Surprised, she noticed that daisies were already blooming there. Was the house empty? She didn't notice any movement behind the clean window panes. The shop seemed to have been closed for some time. "This is mean," she thought with a sigh. "Why can't we have a house like this? I wonder if it's for sale. The roof is new."

Shocked, Levi analysed her face. "Doesn't she like it?"

Suddenly Ayumi opened her mouth and pointed with her index finger at one of the windows. Levi followed her gaze and snapped his eyes open. One of the older shutters had come loose and slammed down.

"Come on." Levi loosened his tight grip around the key in his pocket, grabbed his girlfriend by the arm and pulled her behind him. "Now what?"

***

"She can put up with me. She's already quite clean. She's not bad at cleaning and keeping things in order either." Levi tried to give himself courage.

"Levi?," he heard Ayumi ask with concern.

"Mh?"

"Are you sure this is the right place?," she asked meekly.

Levi looked around and was startled. Lost in thought, he and Ayumi had walked all the way to the farm where they had once stopped for a rest after the wall inspection. They were standing in front of the swing in the middle of the meadow full of daisies.

"Um." Levi heard Ayumi's stomach growl. He himself just felt nauseous. "I just wanted to walk a little longer. Because the fresh air is good for me. Sorry." Embarrassed, Levi ran his hand through his hair. He wanted to give her the best day of her life. And now? "I totally failed."