54. "Don't act like a nun now."

Sam climbed down from his horse. He felt nauseous - from the long ride to the Wall Rose, from yesterday's hearing and maybe from the alcohol consumption of the past few days. With difficulty he pulled his handkerchief out of his pocket and wiped the sweat from his forehead. Breathing heavily, he looked around. The sight of soldiers of the Military Police at the Wall Rose caused astonishment among the soldiers of the Garrison Regiment. "And which one of these idiots is in charge here now?"

Konrad rubbed his cold hands and looked down from the wall to the window of the infirmary. After days, he still knew too little about the two strangers. Both remained taciturn and didn't try to connect with other people. From time to time the blond named Zeke tried to look around, but always broke off his exploratory walks rather quickly. "He knows we're watching them." Konrad felt the goosebumps. As always when he thought of his encounters with the creepy stranger. The girl Pieck occasionally walked up and down outside the infirmary on crutches or sat on the bench in front of the entrance, enjoying the warmth of the autumn sun. "How could she escape the Titans with her physical limitation? Or can Titans distinguish between healthy and sick people and avoid the latter?" A loud sigh escaped his mouth. "And we still don't know the content of the backpack." There had always been one of the two looking out for it.

"Konrad!" Lucas hurried towards his superior, panting.

"What's the matter?," the latter asked.

"The Military Police is here," his comrade gasped, propping his hands on his thighs.

"Why?," asked Konrad in astonishment, hurrying past Lucas.

"Because of the two survivors."

"What about Commander Pixis?", Konrad wanted to know. After all, they had sent for him days ago.

"Lying in bed. Can't walk. Has gout," Lucas replied.

Konrad shook his head. He didn't know why he was so worried, but something was going really wrong here right now. "Why didn't I inform Peter? Or Commander Erwin?" Panic spread through him at the thought of letting the two strangers move deeper into their territory. But with what justification could he prevent this?

Sam sat on the bench and had water poured for him again while his three comrades looked after the horses.

"I heard you were going to take the two survivors with you?"

Sam set the mug down and looked up. "And who heard that?" He didn't like the harsh tone of the voice.

"Konrad is my name. Is there a document that puts in writing the extradition of the two survivors to the Military Police?," asked Konrad with a serious expression.

"Extradition?" Sam narrowed his eyebrows. "What does that arrogant bunch think who they are? If they could fight, we wouldn't have lost Wall Maria." But because of his hearing yesterday, Sam preferred to keep his mouth shut. Nodding, he reached into his chest pocket and pulled out a folded paper. This he handed to Konrad.

"Why is the Military Police interested in these two?," asked Konrad, unfolding the paper.

"We're not interested in anyone," Sam replied, annoyed, while Konrad read the document. "Protecting the refugees is the duty of the Military Police."

"Are you planning to have the two refugees questioned by the Scout Regiment?", Konrad wanted to know while he handed the document to Lucas. Everything was in order. They had to hand the two over to the Military Police.

"Scout Regiment?" Sam's expression darkened. Again he had to think of the drinking invitation in the pub. Had these two guys been from the Scout Regiment? Had the resemblance of one of them with the Commander of the Scout Regiment not been pure coincidence after all? Had he really just had too much drinks? Or had they given him something? The last thing he could remember was how they had sat together in the pub. Then he had been woken up by comrades on the steps to the entrance of the Military Police house at the market. His key had been in the lock. Had he put it in the lock and then just collapsed in front of the door? Or had strangers entered the house? The two from the pub? That twin of Commander Erwin? Someone from the Scout Regiment? But nothing was missing. Not even the weapons. And yet Sam had received a hearing that ended with a warning for him. His careless behaviour could have led to the theft of confidential information as well as a considerable number of weapons. Sam clenched his teeth. "Why should these two ordinary people be questioned by the Scout Regiment?," he grumbled at Konrad.