40. Black tea

WARNING: This chapter mentions an attempted rape and also murder. Furthermore, the chapter contains memories of fights against Titans (dying people, dead people, ...). If you do not want to read this or if you are too young for these topics, please skip this chapter. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Levi narrowed his eyebrows. Why was his leg so cold? And where did those scars on his thigh come from? Suddenly the leg twitched under his hand. Why couldn't he feel his own touch? And why was someone screaming next to him? Levi squinted. It was a woman's voice. "Ayumi!" Levi sat bolt upright in his bed when he felt the punch in his face. It had been Ayumi's leg. Blood ran down his lips. Wide awake, he tried to reach the girl. But he neither managed to grab her hand nor to make eye contact in the moonlight. She continued to hit him like crazy. Something had triggered her. Levi's stomach tightened. He had triggered it.

When she tried to leave the bed in a hurry, he held her by the upper arm at the last moment.

"Let go of me," she screamed, trying to break free.

"No," Levi replied calmly, approaching her slowly.

"Please," Ayumi begged in a panic.

Did she even recognise him?

"No," Levi said quietly as he pulled her close to him. But this was a mistake. Without warning, she struck him in the neck. Whimpering, Levi winced but did not let go of her. His second mistake of the night. Her next punch hit his throat. Tears filled his eyes. "Damn," he gasped when he realised he had let go of her.

When he opened his eyes again, Ayumi had already rushed out of his bedroom. Hastily, Levi jumped out of his bed. He had to stop her. Even if everything in front of his eyes was rotating. He couldn't leave her alone like this.

Ayumi had the handle of Levi's office room door in her hand, but no matter how many times she pushed the handle down, the door would not open. Levi had caught up with her and was pressing against the door with one hand.

"Ayumi." His voice was barely audible. "You can't go outside so lightly dressed," he whispered with difficulty. "Go back to bed. I'll sleep here in the armchair." But the girl neither turned nor let go of the door handle.

Did she hear him at all?

"I'm sorry," Levi began helplessly. "I didn't do it on purpose."

But Ayumi again showed no reaction.

"Ayumi." Levi turned her head towards him. "Breathe with me. Okay?," he tried. "If you breathe calmly again, I'll let you go. Okay?" Her eyes didn't focus. "Just breathe with me. Okay? Breathe in slowly." He demonstrated. "And breathe out slowly." Levi tasted the blood that continued to drip from his nose.

When Ayumi continued to not respond, Levi tried another way. He let go of her face and gently squeezed her hands as he continued to breathe in and out slowly. Audibly. Hoping he was getting through to her. Levi's nausea, however, grew stronger from the intense breathing and the taste of blood. But he couldn't stop, because he noticed that Ayumi was slowly getting back to him. In the moonlight, he saw her eyes focus on his blood. But when her breathing calmed down, he could stand it no longer. Feeling he had to throw up, he let go of her hands and rushed into the bathroom.

***

Levi stood in the open bathroom door. She was gone. His room was empty. Ayumi was gone. He had hurried, only had rinsed his mouth out in a makeshift manner and had reached for the washcloth, which he now held under his nose. And yet, he had been too slow. Goosebumps spread over his body. Should he check her room first? How does one act in such a situation? Levi felt empty.