29. "You can sleep in my room."

"Tch, can't they clean up their stuff?", Levi muttered sombrely and kicked the curry comb, which flew into a horse box in a high arc.

"Ow," was heard the next moment. Surprised, Erwin and Levi looked into the box from which the weak cry had come. The curry comb had landed on a ball of blankets, which was now moving. An arm appeared, followed by a head. Erwin laughed softly while Levi looked dumbfounded into Chagara's sleepy face. She felt the back of her head - the spot Levi had hit with the curry comb.

"Ayumi," Erwin greeted the girl kindly.

More seconds passed before Chagara understood the situation, the place and the two people in front of her. "Mmh," was all the two men got in reply. She reached for the curry comb and slowly stood up. Wrapped in her blankets, she waddled towards Erwin and Levi.

"And you sleep here because?", Erwin wanted to know.

Chagara laid the curry comb on a shelf, yawning unabashedly. "I can't find my room key. And when I came back from the training ground, everyone was already asleep. So I'll have to wait until tomorrow for help," she explained sleepily.

"Mh," Erwin began with a sideways glance at Levi. His friend was silent as ever. But the look he gave the young girl was not lost on Erwin. "You can manage here on your own?"

Levi took the reins from him and nodded.

"Well then," Erwin gave Chagara a quick glance. "Good night, Ayumi. And sorry for our interruption."

Chagara took up the soldier's stance, buried under her blankets. "Good night, Erwin."

Erwin just shook his head with a smile and disappeared.

While Chagara watched the Commander sleepily, Levi went on, took the two horses to their boxes and began to dry them off. "Tch!", Chagara heard from time to time. She hadn't miss out that Levi, unlike Erwin, was not wearing a cape. Appearing in incomplete clothing was not Levi's style. She had also noticed the small splashes of blood on his sleeves. He had tried to wash them out but had not succeeded. They had to be from the previous night. From soldiers who had been injured or died because of the explosion. Probably he had left his cape to someone. "You never talk about your trauma either, do you?"

When Levi had dried off both horses, he noticed that the ball of wool had followed him and was eyeing him at some distance. Just as he was about to turn to ask her what she wanted from him, the girl had disappeared. "Where did you go?" Levi narrowed his eyes. He didn't like being stared at. But he liked it even less that Chagara had left without saying a word. She had spoken to Erwin too, after all.

"Tch," came out of his mouth again.

"What?," he heard behind him. Chagara had returned with two buckets of water. She had hurried. Her wet shoes and the stormy movements of the water showed that. It must have sloshed out of the buckets as she walked quickly.

"Anything else?," he said unkindly when he had finished giving the water to the horses.

"Yes," she replied.

For a brief moment it went dark before Levi's eyes. Chagara had put her cape on him.

"It's raining. Not that you'll get wet and then sick," she explained.

"Why do you always have to be so kind-hearted? Do you want to see me cry?"

An aggressive "Tch!" reached Chagara's ears.