Chapter 37 - 『First Rays Of Morning Sun』

Nie Huaisang continued to cry in Cale's arms, the redhead just patting him like a child.

"Uwaaaahhh! Gege! I'm really glad! Really!"

Cale looks at Alver with a pleading look, in which the blonde just simply turned his back and walked away to wash the dishes in the sink.

"I understand that, but are you the only one who knew we were here? Does your older brother know?"

Nie Huaisang sniffs for a while before looking at the redhead, "I'm the only one who knows, Da-ge would be mad if he knew I smuggled you two in."

Cale could feel cold sweat drop from his forehead, the blonde busy walking around the kitchen without looking at the man at the entrance.

"You are not exactly being discreet about your smuggling case, Huaisang."

In an instant, Nie Huaisang's head turned to the doorway that Cale almost feared for the safety of the younger's neck.

"D-d-d-da-ge! I can explain!"

Nie Mingjue raised his eyebrow at his brother, welcoming himself as he walked inside the room.

"It's fine. How do you think you escaped the Sect's surveillance without covering your smuggling case?"

Cale blinks.

'This bastard is a softy towards his brother.'

The usual suffocating air around Sect Leader Nie became calm when he sees Huaisang fiddling around, saying sorry and thank you to him.

"Thank you, Sect Leader Nie." Cale says, slightly bowing as Alver also went beside the redhead, silently bowing before giving Cale a cup of water.

"I owe you my thanks too."

Cale's eyebrows scrunched, confused.

"I didn't do anything though?"

Sect Leader Nie just smiles, which surprised Cale and the repeated thoughts of the word 'vicious' echoed in his mind.

"You gave Huaisang a fan and something to protect himself. Though he's not wielding our clan's saber, as long as he's keeping himself safe then it's fine."

'This bastard really is a softy.'

"So I offer you my thanks too, though I have a question I want to ask."

That tone coming from Nie Mingjue isn't good news, though Cale just swallowed the lump in his throat.

"What is it?"

"That man is Wen Ruohan's pet, is he not? So what is he doing here?" Nie Mingjue asks while pointing at Alver, and Cale could see how the Sect Leader is stopping every inch of his instinct to kill the blonde right then and there.

"I am not that bastard's pet." Alver scowls, slamming down the newly washed knife in a cutting board.

The earlier calm atmosphere turned heavy in an instant as Alver and Nie Mingjue glared at each other.

Before it could escalate into a fight, Nie Huaisang coaxed his brother as Cale stared at Alver with a stern look.

"Sect Leader Nie, pardon his attitude but his words are true. He was only following Wen Ruohan's order because he promised to send him back home."

Nie Mingjue raised his eyebrow, "If it was to go home, surely he can easily run away and not get dragged into his schemes."

If only it was that easy.

Alver then spoke, "Long story short. I betrayed him and sided with this bastard."

Cale could feel his head ache once again at Alver's brash words, considering the one he's talking to is someone who have a short temper.