25

Monday

When we walk into the house I can already feel the tension in the air. When I reach the kitchen I see Jack, Jason's father standing in the corner as he leans against the wall. His mom sits at the island with Luke.
"Where's Jessica?" Jason asks keeping his gaze locked on his face. His shoulders are steeled as he stares at him barely blinking let alone moving.
"She's taken ivy out to get ice cream" Luke says, Jason nods swaying back and forth on his feet. Finally his father pushed off the wall.

"So would you like to tell me why my son was in the hospital or are we just keeping this from me" he says looking from Jason to Melissa and back and forth.
"What do you care? You left us. It's been six years. Why are you back now?" Jason says crossing his arms.
"I've been calling you for the past 7 months" Jack says shocking us all. Jason hadn't said anything.
"You picked up once then ended it after I told you it was me. You haven't answered since" he adds. Jason hesitates for a moment trying to think of the words so he won't hurt his family but he also knows he needs to get his words out finally.

"You left us. Your no longer a part of my life, you put me through hell and back. You think one phone call can fix that?" Jason's says. I take a seat at the island, I wouldn't doubt it for a second that jason would punch his father in the face, I think that's why no one had left yet.
"I want to fix it" Jack argues

"You can't fix it!" Jason says shouting now. I can tell his patience has run out now and I don't blame him.
"Your not letting me!" Jack argues back
"Because your too late! The one time I needed you, the one time you weren't there! And where were you?" Jason asks. Jack stands there trying to find an answer but he doesn't have one.
"Right. But now you come back thinking all is right and forgiven. I don't need you, none of us do"Jason sighs, he takes a minute taking a breath and straightening his shoulders.
"I don't need you to hold my hand and tell me it will be okay. I don't need you to be around, you haven't been around I'm used to that" he shakes his head. After a minute of silence he looks up, a small smile plastered on your face.
"I don't need you to be a father to me. J does and your...new kids do. I'm not something for you to come back and fix. Fuck, by coming back your just breaking what I've fixed" Jason says. When he's finished he walks over to the fridge grabbing a bottle of water and jumping up on the counter.

"I'm sorry" Jack says finally looking up at his son who doesn't seem at all bothered or affected.
"Yeah. I've heard that one before" Jason mumbles.
"Jay give him a chance" none of us had realised Jessica had came back. She must've put ivy in bed or something as she's not here.
"As far as I'm aware, he doesn't deserve a chance or an explanation. He left my life without looking back, he made that choice. No one made it for him, he made it" Jason shrugs taking a sip of his water. I watch as Jason shakes his head slowly, then goes to massaging his temples. Concern washes over everyone's faces as we watch Jason, specific patterns we've picked up since he's been diagnosed make everyone worried now.

"Does your head hurt?" Jessica's face suddenly turns concerned as she walks over to jay. He swats her hand away shaking his head as she goes to feel his temperature.
"I'm fine. It's just hot in here" Jason says. I see Jack shift in the corner of my eye, confusion written all over his face. He doesn't get a chance to ask as Jason quickly hops off the counter and runs to the bathroom through the kitchen. Moments later the sound of spluttering and coughing fills the house, then ivy's cry from upstairs. Luke nods his head walking upstairs quickly to ivy.

"Is he sick?" Jack asks going to stand up.
"Leave him be, he won't let you help him" Melissa says. Jay walks back into the kitchen a little while later , he looks tired and pale like his walls have finally dropped a little.
"Jason" Jessica sighs turning to him. We all agreed we wouldn't tell his dad. That he had to be the one to tell him, or at least tell us we can tell him. He was not up for the idea of telling his dad he has cancer and made us promise not to tell him.
"Jason" Melissa says facing him now too.
"Sit" Jason nods back to the stool jack was sat in before. He sits back down looking around at all of us before back at Jason. Jason opens his mouth to talk, to tell him but quickly closes it. Looking around the room he shakes his head.

"I'm tired. I'm going to bed. I can't do this shit right now" Jason sighs taking off and walking upstairs quickly.