A Picture Paints....

"There she is!  Go on, you get her!" Tom pointed Jenny out in the scrum of passengers coming off the train.  They'd decided she and Diana would get the train down so that there wouldn't be a parking issue.  Posh flat in London he may have, a multimillion pound mortgage for two extra parking spaces, he did not.

JJ scrambled through the crowd shrieking like a banshee "Muuuuuuum! Graaaaaaaaan!" he threw himself at them and they grabbed his hands between them, swinging him up and down as they walked back.  Tom watched them coming, his face a picture of happiness.  They'd had a great couple of days just messing around, being boys and generally slumming it, but he was so glad to see Jenny - and his Mum of course.

As they walked up, Granny took charge of Jamie and Jenny and Tom kissed hello. 

"Missed you," he said as he held her close, not caring they were in the middle of a busy station.  People did a double take, some nudged each other and there were a couple of very suspicious-looking 'selfies'.  Nobody bothered them though, everyone giving them a little bit of space. 

"Missed you more" she blushed delicately, realising this was the kind of public life they were about to lead.

"Mum!" Tom turned and kissed his mum on the cheek "Everything ok?" 

"Absolutely fabulous dear boy!" she laughed "Absolutely fabulous." 

"Come on then, let's go home, got some Chinese on order.  Don't want it to get there before we do now do we?" Tom winked at JJ who giggled.  

"Dad and me have had pizza and burgers and all sorts.  It's been GREAT!" he swung on Jenny's hand.  "So you and Dad are going...." a large hand smothered his mouth and he looked up at Tom with startled eyes. Then he giggled behind his fingers. "Sorry Dad!" he mumbled.

Tom rolled his eyes  "Boys, honestly! I thought Tom Holland was bad for spilling secrets!  Thought my own son would do better!" he laughed and tickled Jamie who squealed.  

"I'm just so excited!" 

They piled into the car and drove home, Tom and Jenny in the front, Jamie and his Gran in the back.  The two rear passengers giggled and whispered the whole way home. Jenny turned and gave them her best 'teacher' stare.

"Ok you two WHAT's going on?" she peered at them, one eyebrow raised.

"Nothing Miss Grey!" they chimed together and Tom winked theatrically in the rearview mirror.

"I have the feeling I'm being set up here!" Jenny squinted at them "But I'll find out, if I have to tickle you till you pee yourself, young man!" 

Jamie screeched again, laughing so hard he was red in the face.  "Granny save me!" he gasped.

"Oh No," she shook her head and raised her hands in defense.  "You're on your own with this one son.  I can't defend you against the mighty fingers of Captain SuperTeacher!" 

As Tom drove, he listened to the laughter and looked with joy at his near-hysterical son in the mirror.  He genuinely couldn't remember them being happier for a very, very long time.  He could only hope that his surprise, in the next day or so, would make Jenny just as happy.

The next morning, Tom got up early and brought Jenny breakfast in bed. Well, not actually breakfast, more an envelope on a tray in bed. The envelope was accompanied by some ginger tea (at his mum's suggestion) and some toast.  He was, fortunately for Jenny, completely oblivious to any possible implications.

"Wakey wakey sleepyhead," he said gently as he stood next to her.  She stirred and looked at him sleepily. They'd been awake until the early hours, 'celebrating' their reunion.  Jenny smiled and sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Morning darling" she mumbled as Tom moved to place the tray on her lap. "Breakfast? You must've got up early!" She stretched up and kissed his cheek as he bent to place it down.
She sniffed the tea. "Ginger?" She held her breath slightly, trying not to react.

"Yeah, mum suggested it. Said you'd started some sort of healthy eating thing" he shrugged and sat on the edge of the bed. "Open your envelope!" He seemed rather excited and she smelt conspiracy in the air.

Carefully, slowly, she opened it. Deliberately taking her time, amused by his childlike, frustration and desperation for her to get on with it. Eventually, she got it open enough to pull out the contents. Unfolding it, she saw a picture. Drawn by Jamie.

Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at it. Two stick figures, one with a beard and glasses, the other with a blonde ponytail, stood hand in hand. They were standing under what at first looked like a rocket but as she looked at it, it became apparent that it was a landmark. She looked up at Tom who stood beaming.

"Paris?" She could barely form the words.

"Yes, darling. Paris on the Eurostar. We leave this afternoon and have a couple of days to ourselves. I want to spoil you, make you see how much I love you. Oh and I stole your passport from your office the last time we were over getting you clothes."

They laughed and kissed briefly, then she pulled out the kiss with a knowing smile.

"Oh Tom, I know you do darling.  But thank you." She placed the tray to the side and patted the bed, taking a breath she continued "sit down, my turn."

Tom looked at her puzzled. "Ok?"

She took his hand. "Tom, how do you think JJ would like a little playmate?"

"We can't get a cat love, he's allergic and neither of us are home enough for a dog." He patted her hand, "but it was a lovely thought."

Jenny burst out laughing and shook her head. "Well, maybe I will be?" She paused, still nothing. Had he REALLY had this conversation once before?

"Are you giving up work? I really dont mind, if it's all too much, I'm more than happy for you to stay home and be a full time mu....." she began to giggle and he trailed off, realisation dawning.  His jaw hung open. "Are you...?"

"Yes Tom, I'm pregnant!" She said softly, taking his hand and placing it on her belly. As she watched, he looked at her and his smile faded.

He didn't say a word, just kissed her cheek, stood up and walked to the door. He turned to her with a strained smile. "That's erm, lovely news dear. Better go and see to JJ, we can tell him when we get back from Paris. You get ready and we'll head off soon." No kisses, no hugs, no celebration. She might as well have told him she was getting a pay rise.

He paused and looked at her again then closed the door behind him as Jenny sat, shocked in the bed where he'd left her. 

What the hell was going on?