Reconciliation

Finally it was home time. The school bell rang and the herd of wildebeest masquerading as seven year olds piled out the door.

"PE tomorrow - don't forget your kit! We don't have enough lost property shorts for you all!" Jenny called out over the excited din. Some sniggered, some looked slightly worried and some just called back "Yes Miss Grey!" like it was the most normal comment in their little world. As the noise died down, she became aware of a figure at the door. She didn't need to turn round to know who it was.

"DAAAAAAAD!" the last little wildebeest launched himself as Tom, wrapping his arms around those interminably long legs. Despite her nerves, Jenny couldn't help but laugh. Tom stood for a moment, relishing the hug. Carefully he prised Jamie from him and crouched down,

"You remember Granny said I wanted to speak to Miss Grey ? Well, it might take a little while, will you be ok in the car?" he put his hands on Jamie's shoulders and spoke to him man-to-man. Jamie nodded seriously.

"Yes Dad, just unlock it when I get there ok?" he looked back at Jenny then back to Tom, whispering VERY loudly behind his hand., "Good Luck Dad. You'll be ok!" Jenny just about managed stifle a strangled snort as she became VERY interested in a pile of marking. Tom winked at him and stood up and crossed the room,

"Go on, I'll watch from the window."

Two minutes later, he turned back and smiled at her, she was avoiding his gaze, he could tell. He took a deep breath, plunging right on in there.

"She's gone and she's not coming back." he came and sat on a desk in the front of the class. Jenny looked up from her pile of marking.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Tina - she's gone and she's not coming back. It was... a foolish mistake." he looked at his hands, clasped on his lap and her eyes followed his gaze. To her astonishment, she noticed instantly he wasn't wearing his wedding ring. Her eyes shot back up to his face and he was looking at her intently now.

"Tom!" she said almost in a whisper "You're not..."

He stood and walked over to her, perching on the side of her desk as she turned to face him, heart pounding. He took her hand in his, gently rubbing his thumb over the back of it. She almost collapsed in a heap at his feet.

"No, it's time. I'll never NOT love Claire, she's Jamie's mother and she was my wife but it will always be a background rhythm to my life, not the main tune. Not now. Not any more." he looked at her steadily. "I had planned to say so much to you and now? Now all I can think of to say is I'm sorry. Sorry I was an idiot, sorry I was rude, sorry I missed my chance to do the right thing at the right time. I will always be sorry I missed my chance." he looked at her, his eyes full of emotion, full of something else as well. Hope.

She was shaking like the proverbial leaf when she put her other hand on top of his, grasping it gently.

"And what makes you think you don't get another one?" she said softly.

"But what if missing the chance let someone else take it?" he breathed as he looked at her, hardly daring to hope.

"He's my brother" somehow, they had both stood up now and were only inches apart, almost whispering to each other, caught in the bubble they'd created.

"Brother" he repeated as if he'd never heard the word before "he's your Brother" then he looked at her and laughed excitedly "He's your BROTHER!" he grasped her around the waist and swung her in a circle, making her squeal with laughter and throw her arms around his neck to balance.

"You're such an idiot Hiddleston" she whispered as they stopped and looked at each other, "Crazy as well."

"Love makes you crazy" was all he said and the world stopped. Her mind went blank and her eyes widened as she took in what he said. Without speaking, they bent towards each other and paused for a second. Then it happened, he kissed her. His lips soft and warm, slow and tentative. His hands moved from round her waist to one on her back and one holding her head so very tenderly.

After a moment or two, she pulled back and looked at him, her hand stroked his cheek where a small tear had rolled. "I love you." It was out before she could stop it.

"You do?" he sounded amazed and relieved and ecstatic all in one. She nodded.

"I had a big speech for you too, but seems like we just got to the good bit from the start!" she giggled and laid her head on his chest. He rested his chin on the top of her head, relishing the feeling of her arms around him. A feeling he'd wanted for weeks - no months - and now the reality was so much more than he'd ever imagined.

"Good, because I think we've wasted enough time, you and I?" he murmured and she agreed with a small "mhmm."

"We better go, before JJ posts us missing. Let's have dinner, just the three of us. We'll break the news. I've a lasagne in the oven and there's cake?" he teased, separating from her without letting go her hand "I slaved over a hot pasta machine all morning just in case you decided I wasn't a completely lost cause!" he winked and Jenny laughed.

"Ooooh lasagne eh? In that case I suppose I'd better do the right thing and give you a chance to poison me at least this once eh?" she tugged his hand as she picked up her bag. He tugged her right back, pulling her back to his chest.

"Poison eh?" he smiled wickedly. "I don't think so my Pet" the familiar regal tones made the hair on the back of her neck stand up "I think I have far more creative ways to render you powerless." and with an evil cackle he kissed her again.

As they turned to leave the classroom, there was a small figure standing at the door watching. His face was a study in astonishment. Tom looked horrified and Jenny flushed. They would never have hidden anything from JJ, but they would have liked to broach the subject delicately.

"JJ.. I.. you shouldn't have..." Tom started to stammer and Jenny dropped his hand immediately. Before they had a chance to move, Jamie ran into the room, straight up to them and stopped. His face was white, his eyes were full of tears. Tom knelt, expecting some sort of reaction. The one he was about to get would floor him.

"Son, the thing is..." he began but Jamie stopped him. His little hand raised like a policeman directing traffic. Tom looked at him, then up at Jenny. Jamie reached out and grabbed Tom's hand. then he turned and grabbed Jenny's and pulled her down. When they were both kneeling he flung his arms around them both.

"I love you both so much. Thank you for loving each other at last." was all he said.

No-one, least of all the lady with the impeccable dress sense and the salt and pepper hair. who'd come to see why there were still people in the building, could speak for crying.

If only their tears would always be happy ones....