Missing ...

"Any advance on £350? " Tom looked around the room, "Going once, going twice...going three times... SOLD to the lady in the fetching green coat. An excellent colour choice Madam!" he banged the table with his hand and the room erupted into applause. Jamie looked up at his Dad with a smile a mile wide. Never in a million years did he think they'd get THAT much money for his drawing. His Dad was the best auction man ever! Carefully he put the picture down on the table and went to take his hand.

"Dad?" Tom was now speaking to the winning bidder, arranging a time and place for their lunch over the next couple of days. He was heading away for a couple of months on and off, filming so wanted to make sure it happened before then. "Daaad!" Jamie was on the verge of whining, very unlike him and Tom turned and frowned at him.

"Jamie, please don't interrupt, you're being a bit rude. Excited but rude." he looked at Jamie with that well known 'just-as-well-we're-in-public' look that all parents used at one time or another.

"Sorry Dad" he looked crestfallen and Tom instantly forgave him. Not that he said so, he concluded his conversation first, still attached to his son by the hand. As Mrs Henderson - who turned out to be the Aunt of Clare from earlier on - walked away, he knelt down and spoke to Jamie quietly.

"Now son, I know you're excited and I totally understand sometimes it just bubbles over, but you really were a bit rude ok? " he smiled and hugged Jamie "let's say no more about it, I forgive you and I know you're sorry so that's it over and done with. Now," he pulled back "what did you want to tell me?"

"It doesn't matter Dad, she's gone now. We'll see her on Monday at school. You can ask her then." he turned away and pulled Tom to his feet. "Let's go home Dad, will you read me a story? In bed?" suddenly he looked like a very, very little boy and Tom felt his eyes prickle with tears. He wasn't so grown up he didn't want his Dad to snuggle him down, even now.

"Of course I will JJ " he whispered and smiled softly, "Who and what was it I was to ask?" he tried not to sound like he was interrogating him, but he was intensely curious. He wished he hadn't asked when with childlike innocence, Jamie said.

"You can ask Miss Grey who the man was she just kissed was! He just arrived and she went away with him. Maybe he's a new friend Dad, maybe" he paused "he's a new special friend - like you."

Jenny turned at the sound of her name and let out a little squeal of surprise. "Luke!" she ran over to him and he hugged her tightly. "It's been so long Luke, I've missed you so much." they held each other at arm's length and she added "come on, let's go home. I have so much to tell you! I just need to say to Mrs Bennett" she hugged him again and kissed his cheek, unaware that a certain little boy was watching her intently. A little boy who was every bit as curious as she was to know why Luke was here. After all, her brother had been working in New Zealand for the last five years, goodness she had missed him, even if he did drive her up the wall!

Five minutes later they were in the car on the way home. Jenny could hardly drive for laughing. Luke, as always, kept her in stitches with tales of his antics. He might be five years older, but he was no wiser than her, that was for sure.

"What on EARTH made you think cockroaches couldn't fly?" she howled as he recounted trying to batter one to death in his bedroom with a broom as it flew around. The cockroach had won, but Luke had lost not only his dignity but his security deposit in the process, having it used to replace the broken table lamp and the bed. Tears streamed down her face and Luke doubled up in the passenger seat, his breath coming in gasps.

"Oh God sis I've missed this. You and me just messing about." he finally calmed down, wiping his eyes on his sleeve and sniffing loudly.

"How long are you staying?" she asked, hoping he would say more than just a couple of nights.

"Honestly? I have no idea. My contract wasn't renewed this time, no money they said. So I'm resting as they would say in acting circles" he smiled at her and she nodded.

"Well you can kip on my sofa as long as you like brother dear." she smiled and added "room and board is free, on one condition,"

"name it sis, anything." he was so relieved, he'd been afraid she would have said no or worse he would have to share a house with her and some random boyfriend.

"You don't make a mess and you DO NOT and I mean DO NOT ask me for an introduction to Tom Hiddleston. I know you Luke, you're a massive Marvel geek and an even more massively shameless fanboy."

"Oh YEAH" Luke's eyes lit up , "I forgot you were Mini Loki's teacher still. Awww come on sis , PLEASE please please please?" he gave her puppy dog eyes, his hands pressed together in prayer. "I'll even do ALL the housework and ALL the grocery shopping, PLEASE?" he stuck out his bottom lip and tried to look sad. All that happened was he looked a bit demented. Jenny laughed.

"Ok, we'll see. " she relented and he cheered.

"You're the best sister ever in the history of the entire universe - the Multiverse even !"

She turned and looked at him, suddenly reminded of the other man-child in her life. If only he adored her as much as Luke did right now. But he didn't and the offer of one hotdog hadn't changed anything.

Drawing up at her house, Luke got out and bounded round, opening her door for her. As she stepped out, he hugged her again and they walked into her cottage arm in arm. They were oblivious to the car that had stopped at the end of the drive, the man watching intently as they went in and put the lights on. With a sigh, he started the car and drove away.

"Why did you come round here?" the voice at his ear said and he smiled, turning round to the questioning face.

"I thought, well I was going to, well it doesn't matter, we'll see her on Monday just like you said JJ. You're a very clever boy? Have I ever told you that son?"

"Yes Dad, you have. Thanks Dad." Jamie settled down in his seat in the back and Tom turned his attention to the road. What the hell Hiddleston, he thought, you brought this on yourself.