Revelations

She was packing up for the day, her little helper scurrying about after her when a voice at her back startled her

"Hello? Miss Grey?" She turned round to find Mrs Bennett standing in the doorway. Jenny smiled and walked over.

"JJ will you collect all the glue pots please and take them through the cupboard? Granny will be here soon."

"Yes Miss" he smiled happily and got to work.

"Mrs Bennett? How can I help you?" She wiped her hands on her skirt and gestured for her to come in.

"I believe you wish to withdraw your job application?" She smiled and perched on the edge of a desk. "I have to say, from a personal and professional point of view, I'm so glad."

"Oh thank you. Yes, yes I do. Things have changed considerably for me." She smiled and blushed a little at the recollection of the last time Mrs Bennett had seen her and Jamie. "There's a whole world of reasons for me to stay now. I do feel bad letting them down though."

"Oh don't worry about that, you've given them plenty of notice, they will find someone. I probably shouldn't say it, but life's too short to have regrets. I suppose we of all people know about that don't we?" She shrugged and turned to see Jamie trot back out of the cupboard, humming to himself in a high-pitched squeak that a mouse would struggle to hear.

"So how are you, Jamie? Everything going well?"

He looked at her for a moment and put his head to one side in his usual manner.

"Well," he said, with all the gravity of a 7 going on 70-year-old, "all things into account, very well Mrs Bennett." He sidled over and slipped his hand into Jenny's with a giggle.

Jenny looked down at him and smiled gently. "JJ what did we say about when we're in school?" She didn't want to give him a row, but she felt she should say something. She needn't have worried.

"Oh, don't worry Miss Grey, a little hand-holding never hurt anyone. Especially under the circumstances. It's a new situation for all of us isn't it, Jamie?" She winked at him and smiled.

Jamie grinned, then his head swivelled as he heard a familiar voice.

"GRANNY!" he released Jenny's hand and ran to hug her.

"Oof! What a welcome! I must go away more often! You ready to come home young man?" She ruffled his hair. He nodded enthusiastically.

"Oh Granny! I have SO much to tell you!" He hopped up and down, still holding her hand.

"Come on then, you can tell me on the way home. " Diana looked over "See you later? For tea?" She smiled at Jenny who blushed. Hiw much dud Diana know?

"I need to pop home to..." she started to say but there was a knowing wink.

"The shirt suits you. We'll eat at 6. See you then. Come on Sir. Looks like you'll burst if you don't speak soon!"
The two of them started to walk away when Jamie turned back and ran over to Jenny, motioning her to bend down. She did and he grabbed her hand.

He kissed her hand very politely, just as he'd seen Tom do and said "thank you, see you later m..miss" then he ran out the door shouting "come on Granny!"

The three women realised their hearts had been stolen and the thief? Well, he was only seven years of age.

Tom drove up the motorway with a heavy heart. He hadn't wanted to leave, they'd only just found each other. It was only for a couple of weeks he reasoned. They would Skype and call and for the first time in what seemed a lifetime, he had someone other than his little boy to come home to. He couldn't wait to feel that expectation, that excitement.