Chapter 18

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Y/n."

"W-who are you? And how do you know my name?" I asked the strange woman.

I could barely see her face because of the black veil that adorned the brim of her so-called sun hat down to her feet.

She must've noticed because she spoke once again, "Oh! Forgive me, love!" She chuckles lightly, "I never meant to frighten you."

She uses her seemingly delicate hands to open the veil like a curtain, revealing her soft, motherly features.

"My name is Kristen, and I am the Lady Death." She says with a smile.

I shiver slightly, making her quickly add "...Don't let my alias fool you, my dear,
I care for the dead after they cross over. I am not the Grim Reaper if that's what you ponder."

I sighed a little relieved, "Alright then- wait" I froze, and my eyes widened. "Lady Death, if you are here, does that me-"

"What? Oh! No! No, no you are not dead!" Kristen assured me with a light chuckle.

She 'floats' over to me and gestures to Melody, who was still in my arms.
"You are sound asleep like this sweet little darling, here."

"Then, if I may ask...why are we here, my Lady?" I questioned.

"Please, it's alright if you call me Kristen." She protests, "Lady Death is just one of my many names, and since your mother was a dear friend of mine, I'd love it if we got to know each other better."

"You knew my mother, my Lady- I mean, Kristen?" I asked. 

She gestured for me to follow her, "I'll explain everything as we go along. For now, I wish to show you something."

I hesitantly began to follow Kristen through the abyss. We walked for what seemed like almost an hour. 

Kristen then stopped and extended her arm out, to which a soft enchanting light emitted from the palm of her hand.

A portal manifested before us, radiating a calming aura from around it.

Kristen turned to me and asked for me to take hold of her hand. "Watch your step now. People tend to get dizzy once they step through my portals."

I nodded and gently took her hand, allowing her to guide me through the portal.

Once on the other side, my head became fuzzy and I nearly fell over as I took a step down. Thankfully, Kristen made sure I stayed on my feet.

"You weren't joking when you said people would get dizzy," I said, earning a light laugh from Kristen.

I looked at where her portal brought us and couldn't believe my eyes.