Chapter 10: Confessions of the heart

CHAPTER 10

Ester's POV

Ever since Severus and I kissed under the mistletoe that afternoon a few weeks ago, I felt like he has been avoiding me a lot. Whenever I asked if he wanted to hang out, he would usually decline and make up an excuse about how he was behind on some tests in need of grading or that he had to reorganize his potions cabinet. And I have to admit, I was getting really mad at him. Snape wasn't being fair at all. If he didn't want to hang out with me anymore, he should have just said it to my face and I would have been completely understanding. He shouldn't be running away from me like some scared little kid.

It was the day before the second challenge when I worked up the courage to ask him to talk about it for the hundredth time that week. I also needed Snape's help with something too, so I had an excuse to go visit him when he declined the offer to hang out earlier that day.

I rapped on the door to his office with the back of my knuckle. No answer. I knocked again, this time a bit louder in case he didn't hear me. Only silence. Slowly, I pushed open the large wood door a crack and poked my head inside. It was very dark out due to the fact that it was ten o'clock at night, so I had to squint to see. The classroom was vacant. I frowned. Odd, Snape was usually here until curfew when he would head to his living quarters.

I slowly stepped inside, deciding I would wait for him until he got back from wherever he had stalked off to. I'm sure he would be back any minute now.

I dropped my bag loudly to the floor, causing a loud thunk to echo off the cold stone floor, and sat down in one of the desks. I kicked my feet up onto the table in a lazy fashion as usual in an attempt to making myself more comfortable. I shivered. This was the one thing I hated about the dungeon classrooms. They were always so cold and stuffy. I wondered how Severus was able to spend his days down here without catching his death.

Suddenly, the large double doors swung open, followed by the swift tapping of footsteps as they entered the room. I knew I only had moments to hide. I dove for the open potions closet behind me and soundlessly slid the door shut behind me, only leaving it open a crack so I could see. Two dark figures waltzed their way up to the front of the room, their backs facing me.

The one with really long, whitish blond hair spoke first, urgency lacing his tone. "Severus, as a friend giving advise--"

I have no friends." Snape remarked sharply, cutting the man off.

I heard the man sigh loudly. "Fine; as a colleague giving advise, I highly advise that you succumb to our master's wishes. The girl gives us a great advantage as someone on the inside."

I frowned in confusion. What on earth were they talking about? Who was the girl they were talking about? By master did they mean Professor Dumbledoor? I pressed my ear up closer to the door, now very interested in the conversation.

Snape groaned, pinching the bridge of his hooked nose in exasperation. "You know I can't do that, Lucius. I won't put her in danger like that. Never."

"Don't tell me," the strange Lucius man questioned. "that you are actually falling for that- that mud blood, Severus."

My eyes widened, quickly welling up with guilty tears. I had no idea that was why he disliked the kiss. God, I was such an idiot. Snape was in love another woman and I was getting in the way of that. I felt absolutely terrible.

He sighed, staring dejectedly out the open window to his left. "Yes... Falling hard. And don't call her that. Never again. I hate that name."

"Then you know what you have to do. If you truly love her, you must hand her over to our cause. You must! It is essential. And I believe you understand what will happen if you refuse us." He warned, concern for his friend etched deep in his melancholy voice.