36. Revenge

AVA STONE

"Dad, for the eleventh time, I am fine," I huffed before leaning back on my chair, already stuffed from breakfast.

"You sure, princess?"

"Just like the previous ten times, yes, dad, I am 100% sure." I gave him a light smile.

I appreciated his concern for me, I really did, and I knew that he was just caring for me and my well-being, but having had my dad hovering over me for the past thirty minutes was starting to get tiring and overwhelming. I wanted to forget about the panic attack in fear of those memories resurfacing, and this conversation was not helping.

"You should have come straight back home, Ava," he gently scolded me. "You needed to rest, not to go to a fucking diner with that boy," he spat the last words with so much venom that my hands unconsciously turned into fists.

"I'm fine, dad," I assured him again before I said anything I would regret, giving him a serious look. "But I'm sorry, I promise next time I'll come straight home."

From the corner of my eye, I noticed my brother glancing at us for a few seconds before focusing back on his own breakfast. My food-filled stomach churned: I had promised myself I would have a chat with him after I came back from the game, I was supposed to talk with my brother and try to fix things between us, but with everything that has happened during that night, I had completely forgotten about that promise.

"First and most important of all, that's not necessary because there will be no next time," my father's voice brought me out of my thoughts. "And second of all, do you already know who did it?"

Know? No. Have my suspicions and could probably bet all of my money on it? Yes. Except the strange case in which someone from that school surprises me happens, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who could be after me and carrying out such seemingly childish act —even though to me it wasn't childish at all—; there was only one option.

"You know that they will pay, right?" he added, his tone lowering to an octave.

Something I have always loved about my father and which he has made sure to pass onto us was the concept he has of family. There is nothing he wouldn't do for those who are family to him, nothing, especially his kids. In the Stone family, we always have each other's backs. You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us.

"I know, and they will. Believe me that they will," I replied, my tone gaining the same gravity as his. "But I would really appreciate it if you allowed me to be the one who makes sure that happens."

My dad glanced at me, eyes full of hesitation and wheels turning wildly inside his head. "Ava..."

"Please, dad," I cut him off. The light glare he threw my way only told me that he didn't like that at all. "I just want to prove that I can handle this." Plus, I already have the perfect revenge plan.

"Ava, I know you can, I know you could perfectly deal with this and more all on your own, but I don't want that. We're here for you, let us help you."

"I really appreciate that, dad, but this? I need to do this myself," I argued.

As the conflict in my father's eyes intensified, I felt more and more confident that he would agree.