20. Chocolate

AVA STONE

I embraced Leah the moment she stepped into the mansion. I didn't even stop to pay attention to her red, puffy eyes from crying, the need to comfort her taking over me. I started rubbing her back as she leaned her head on my shoulder, with barely no strength to return the tight hug I was giving her.

"Hey," I greeted her seconds later, my voice a mere whisper.

"Hey," she replied in the same tone before pulling away. "Were you in the middle of something? Am I disturbing you?"

I squeezed her shoulder in reassurance, giving her a sad smile. "Of course not. You won't ever bother or disturb me for calling when you aren't doing ok, Leah." I nodded towards the guard who let her in, informing him that we will be alright before turning back to my friend. "Is it ok if you head to my room while I fetch us something to drink? I'll be there in a minute."

Leah gave me a small nod and followed me through the corridor until she had to take the stairs up to my room. Meanwhile, I headed towards the empty kitchen, where I made some hot chocolates for both of us. Once I had the two cups ready, I grabbed them and hurried upstairs.

I found Leah sitting on my bed with her legs crossed and back against the headboard. Her head snapped to me the moment she head the door opening and I offered her a reassuring smile, hoping it would help her with the upcoming conversation. I walked towards my bed, taking a seat in front of her not before handing her the cup, which she took while whispering a small 'thank you'. She took a sip of the sweet drink and I only watched her until she was ready to start, not caring for how long the silence in the room was prolonging.

"I argued with my mom again," she mumbled, staring into her lap.

I waited patiently for her to continue, making no attempt in pressuring her to disclose more information. Leah has never liked that. Ever since she was a kid, she preferred to spill the beans by herself; the more questions you asked while she was telling what was wrong, the more she closed herself off and the less she told. That's why I always allow her to speak her mind, to express herself in any way she desires without me interjecting except it's strictly necessary.

"You know you are my best friend and that I love you for how great of a friend you are, don't you?" she asked while looking into my eyes, her voice breaking at the end as if she was about to start crying again.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her question. Why would she even doubt that? "Of course I'm aware of that, just as you are my best friend, just as I love you." I paused for a second, studying her features. "Why are you asking me that?"

She took a deep breath, avoiding eye contact. "My mom found out that I didn't go with you and Cole to that football practice and she didn't take it quite well." She humorlessly chuckled, lightly shaking her head. "And as always she took her anger out on me, screaming about me being a a disgrace of a daughter, being as useless and dumb as ever."

That bitch.

I frowned at her mother's choice of words. This is not the first time I've had to listen to my best friend telling me this kind of stories. Leah has never had the best relationship with her, nor with her dad, but she still loved them no matter what. I understood that they were still her parents —if they could be called that—, but it was no lie the relationship she had with them was toxic.

I never liked them. I've always witnessed how their words and actions affected Leah and her self-esteem. I always tried talking Leah into doing something to set her free from their grasp, but she always denied, claiming that they were her parents; those same parents who have always neglected her for being a daughter instead of a son. Of course, I respected her pleads and decisions even if I wasn't comfortable with it, but I was glad that she took action after what her dad did.