19. Sleepovers

KENZIE MILLER

"Thank you," I smiled at the maid who took my bag from my hand and carried it to Sophie's room.

"Kenzie!" my friend chirped as she saw me, skipping down the stairs and immediately engulfing me in a welcoming hug. "I'm so glad you could make it."

I pulled away from the hug, smiling softly at Sophie. "You know I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Ok then, girls." Sophie's mother clasped her hands together and smiled at us. "Now that everyone's here, you may head upstairs. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Mrs Wilson," Kiara replied with a small smile.

Sophie nodded and leaded us three up the stairs towards her room. On the way there, I couldn't help but look around, a frown taking over my features. «Didn't Anastasia say that we've all arrived? Ava and Leah aren't here yet» I thought to myself.

"You didn't invite Ava and Leah?" I asked Sophie.

Her steps halted and she turned to me, raising an eyebrow before resuming our walk to her room. Her plain response came two seconds later. "No."

"Why not?" My frown deepened.

"I just feel it's too early to invite them over to my house," she mumbled.

Rachel sent me and Kiara, who looked as confused as I did, a small sign with her hand, silently telling us she'll explain later. I have no idea what she knew that we didn't, just as I have no idea what's Sophie's real reason behind not inviting them to our pijama party.

"Isn't your father home today?" Rachel changed the topic.

"He's on a business trip, he won't come until Sunday," she replied casually. It wasn't an unusual thing for Christopher to be absent in this home. I think I've only met him in his own house a few times; every time I came he was either out on a business trip or in his office doing more work.

Soon, we arrived to our destination and Sophie opened the door for us. "Go ahead."

We all headed inside her wide room, where we've been more times that I could ever count on, and made ourselves comfortable. I checked that our bags were nowhere to be seen —meaning the maids must have left them inside the closet— before I plopped myself face down on Sophie's bed with the other girls sitting beside me.

"I forgot how comfy your bed was," I mumbled into the covers, drawing chuckles out of the girls' mouths.

A maid entered the room two seconds later, holding a tray with a few snacks and drinks for us. Sophie took it from her hands and placed it on her desk after thanking the woman, who left the room with a small bow. After that, we all changed into more comfortable clothes and went back to sit on Sophie's bed, making a circle.

I have to admit that this was one of the most awaited plans of the year for me. It all began when we were starting high school. Sophie invited us over to her house the weekend after the first week was over, then she invited us again the next year and so it became some kind of tradition for us, a sweet one may I add. Now, it's mandatory that we always have a sleepover at Sophie's once the school year starts. It has always been the four of us, no boys were ever invited.