18. a close one

April 9, 1975

"SHUT UP, ARE you serious?"

"Dead."

Nesrin burst out laughing. "So, you're telling me that Mark Rogers faked being Australian for six years?"

James nodded, picking a piece of taffy from his pocket and unwrapping it before handing it to her. She took it subconsciously, still looking at him incredulously as they walked into a small shop hidden deep into Hogsmeade.

"How the hell did he pull that off? How did none of his teachers or friends figure out he wasn't from Australia?"

He shrugged. "Rogers is a legend."

Nesrin rolled her eyes, a smile still playing on her lips. "Of course, you would think so—"

Her words were suddenly cut off as she ran into a solid body. She let out a squeal she wasn't quite proud of and held out her hands so they touched said body's chest. When she leaned away and recognized the familiar face, her skin grew hot.

Eyes widening, she looked up into the amused blue eyes of Charlie Bayard. Nesrin was fairly tall, she'd always been taller than most other girls her age. But Charlie made her tilt her head up to look him in the eye. His height and build just added to his attractive persona.

"I'm sorry, that was my bad," he said with a charming smile, deep dimples carving into his cheeks. "Are you alright?"

Nesrin died a little. Obviously, she didn't have an actual crush on the guy. But when a cute, older guy smiles at you, it's a little hard not to swoon.

She felt a nudge at her side and realized she'd been staring at him for too long.

Slightly embarrassed, she stammered, "N-no, no. I mean, yes. Yes, I'm okay. That—that's okay. It was actually my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going..." She let out a nervous chuckle, and if it was possible, her face went even more red.

From her side, she heard James coughing in an attempt to cover up his laugh. Discreetly, she shoved her elbow into his stomach.

Charlie didn't notice. He chuckled softly, grinning down at her. Glancing over at James, he nodded and held out his hand. They shook hands, the older boy clapping James on the back.

"Good game last week, Potter," he complimented. "You almost had us."

"We did have you, Bayard. Better up your game for your last game in a couple of weeks. I'm sure you have a ton of fans who are looking forward to it."

Nesrin internally groaned, scowling at the Gryffindor and making sure he knew that he was going to get it the second Charlie left.

Charlie opened his mouth as if to say something before a sudden loud clanging caught their attention.

The three of them turned around, finding a girl with long auburn hair staring down with wide eyes at the floor which had a variety of items spread out across it.

"Shit," she whispered before looking up and meeting Charlie's eyes. "This doesn't count."

Charlie raised a brow, a smirk pulling at the corners of his mouth. "Oh, this counts."