16. you care about him?

IT TAKES HER a while to appear as though she hasn't been crying. When she finally comes back to the dorms, she spots an outline on the sofa.

She closes her eyes for a second, dreading the confrontation that is about to happen.

She starts to move toward her dorm; she gets quite a few steps in and starts to think he may not say anything. But then his voice stops her.

"Where have you been?"

With cool indifference, Nesrin turns and says, "None of your business."

Idris glowers at her. "Well, when you come back to the dorms at fucking one in the morning—"

Something in her just snaps. Maybe it's the exhaustion weighing on her shoulders or the anger from before that suddenly seeps through her again, but she just can't do this anymore.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Nesrin seethes, not caring if anyone hears her. "You injured someone so badly he has to stay in the hospital wing, and you're getting mad at me?"

Idris falters. It is only for half a second, but Nesrin catches it. His eyebrows furrow. "What the hell? Since when have you cared about those blood traitor assholes?"

She clenches her teeth. "James is not an asshole. An asshole is someone who does something terrible and then doesn't even bat an eyelash over it."

A muscle in his jaw flexes. "So what? You care about him?"

"No," she denies in a nonchalant way that she is proud of. "Regardless, what you did was wrong. You can at least have the fucking decency to admit that."

Idris doesn't say anything. The twins just stand there, glaring at each other for a few minutes. Then, in an effort to stop herself from saying something she will regret, she turns and starts walking to her room.

✧ ✦ ✧

NESRIN VISITS JAMES nearly every day in the week that he has to stay in the hospital wing.

She always makes sure of two things before going in. One, that no one else is inside. Two, that James is asleep.

Nesrin is a lot of things, and a coward is near the top of the list. She doesn't want to know what James would do if he found her there beside him. She's too afraid that he'll tell her he hates her and that he doesn't want her to ever come near him again.

James recovers quicker than what would be the normal time of recovery for someone with his injuries. In just a little under a week, he's let out of the hospital wing.

It is Saturday when Nesrin finds out he has healed completely. She hadn't gone in to visit him the day before because Vanessa had forced her into a girl's night and she didn't want to make her suspicious.

She hasn't seen him since Thursday night, and in the year she had gone without seeing his face, she hasn't quite missed him the way she has this past day.

Everyone is in the Great Hall eating dinner. Nesrin is sandwiched between Vanessa and Evan with Idris at the opposite end of the table. Every so often, their eyes meet in a glare of steel. They haven't talked since their argument in the common room that first night she went to visit James, and Nesrin isn't planning on breaking their streak anytime soon.

She's staring down into her bowl of broccoli and cheese soup pretending to listen to Evan and Vanessa's conversation when there's a sudden cheering that comes from the other side of the room.

She looks up and finds the Gryffindors at their table standing up and applauding with large smiles on each of their faces. Furrowing her eyebrows, she looks around to find out why they're making such a commotion.

And find out, she does.

Just past the entrance to the Great Hall stands James Potter. Grinning his usual grin and laughing his usual laugh.

Seventh years, sixth years, fifth years—even first years—all get up to clap him on the back and welcome him back.

Nesrin swallows, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

He's okay. He's okay. He's okay.

The sigh she lets out is one of pure relief.

All around her table, she hears scoffs and catches her peers rolling their eyes and muttering curses under their breath.

"Motherfucker," she hears someone say.

"Can't believe he's still alive." Someone else groans.

"Shit, Idris. You should've hit him harder."

Nesrin freezes. She doesn't want to, but she can't help turning her head to look at her brother.

Idris doesn't do anything, doesn't say anything. His face is one of indifference as he stares down at his food.

Nesrin isn't quite sure what to make of this.

She turns back to look at James. His body is turned, so she can only see the side of his face. Even so, she is glad she is able to have him in her presence. A smile threatens to break onto her face, and she does her best to hide it.

As if sensing her gaze, James's head turns and he meets her eyes from across the hall. It is a fraction of a moment, if you could even call it that.

But she could swear that the side of his mouth curves up the smallest bit before he looks away.

𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 !

who else hates idris?