12. you owe me

January 10, 1975

GARRETT COSBY WAS a persistent motherfucker.

For as long as Nesrin could remember, he had been doing anything he could to get her attention. After countless rejections time and time again, Garrett just could not catch a fricking hint.

He was similar to James in this way, but at least James wasn't a fucking creep.

The number of times Garrett had commented on Nesrin's body and the clothes she was wearing was too many to count and too disturbing to repeat.

Yes, he was popular. Yes, he was attractive. But he was a death eater in the making just like her brother. And Nesrin would sooner die than indulge with someone who was fine with killing off innocent people.

It was just another of those times in that instant with Garrett hovering by her and incessantly chatting her ear off about how high his grades were and how good he was at Quidditch and blah blah fucking blah.

"Did your skirt get shorter? It makes you look hot," he said now as the two were walking out of class with Nesrin desperately trying to get away from him.

Not knowing what else to do, she nodded. She was beyond uncomfortable.

Maybe if she excused herself to use the restroom, he'd leave her alone. But knowing him, he'd probably follow her there and wait outside until she exited.

"Say, Nes," he started again, unaware of her mental turmoil. "Are you free this weekend? I found this nice, quiet place about a half mile away from Hogsmeade that we could totally sneak out to. You probably have nothing better to do, and I think it would be fun."

Nesrin wasn't necessarily a violent person, but his words made her want to punch him in the dick repeatedly until he was unable to have sex ever again.

She opened her mouth before closing it. How was she supposed to say no to him again without seeming as if she hated his guts?

She was saved from having to reply because a figure suddenly appeared from beside her. She didn't have to turn around to know who it was. Somehow, she just knew.

The warmth of his body caressed her back, his touch ghosting over her body.

Involuntarily, she shivered. James stepped forward, his eyes fully on her.

"Hey, we gotta work on our project for Transfiguration," he said, eyes wide as if he were trying to communicate what he was thinking.

Her mind blanked for a second because his smell of sandalwood and lemons was strong enough for her to lose her focus. His hand nudged her side, and she snapped out of it, nodding quickly.

"Right...yes. The project. A large part of our grade. Really large."

She could see the way James was fighting to keep the smile off his face. "Yes. Truly enormous."

She only sent Garrett and single glance and tossed out, "Duty calls" before she grabbed James's wrist and pulled him along the hallway.

Once they were a safe distance away and out of earshot and eyeshot, Nesrin let out a breath of relief. She stopped and turned to James, their eyes locking.

"Thank you," she told him sincerely. "You're a lifesaver."

James grinned down at her, reaching his hand up to poke her cheek.

"You owe me."

Nesrin snorted and rolled her eyes. "Of course. And I really thought you were helping a girl out because of the goodness of your heart."

"Aw, c'mon, Fadel. You know me better than that."

Nesrin let out a smile despite herself. "I guess I do." They started to walk together in silence. "But really, James. Thank you. I don't know what I would've done without you back there. He just makes me really uncomfortable."

James was quiet. A little too quiet for someone like him. Nesrin turned her head to the side to glance at him. He had a thoughtful expression on his face.

Suddenly, his eyes landed on hers. Murky waters of brown and green swirled in his eyes, and it made Nesrin a little breathless.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" James asked with a vulnerability that Nesrin couldn't quite comprehend. He said it with so much sincerity, as if he really wanted to know and hoped that the answer was no.

Nesrin stopped walking. James followed suit, still staring into her eyes deeply.

"I think you may be the one person in the entire world who doesn't."

Nesrin had no idea where that sentence had come from or why she had said it, but she knew that it was the truth. It was probably the most honest thing she had ever said to anyone. Even herself.

James didn't move. He didn't smile. He just stared at her. She stared back.

In complete silence, the two teenagers admired each other. In a moment that was truly, entirely theirs.

Just theirs.

𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 !

sometimes i just tHE BURGUNDY ON MY TSHIRT WHEN YOU SPLASHED YOUR WINE INTO ME AND HOW THE BLOOD RUSHED INTO MY CHEEKS SO SCARLET IT WAS THE MARK YOU SAW ON MY COLLARBONE THE RUST THAT GREW BETWEEN TELEPHONES THE LIPS I USED TO CALL HOME SO SCARLET IT WAS MAROON