03. lovesick idiot

October 1, 1974

SHE ROLLED HER eyes for what seemed to be the thousandth time that day. Vanessa, the bitch she was, had "accidentally" spilled her stupid drink all over Nesrin that morning, causing her to go back to her dorm to change. In reality, Vanessa was just uptight about the fact that the guy she had a crush on had openly flirted with Nesrin. Nesrin fucking hated the guy, but did that matter? Obviously not, not to someone like Vanessa.

She had pretty much known Vanessa her entire life. They were part of the same friend group; Vanessa's brother was friends with Nesrin's brother. Their families were business partners. She couldn't get away from her.

Now, because her so-called friend was so snobbish, Nesrin was going to be late for class. She had Transfiguration as her first class that day, and she quite enjoyed listening to Professor McGonagall's lectures. She had just barely gotten on the woman's good side after her brother had made a rather horrid impression on her during first year.

Not wanting to give the Head of Gryffindor a reason to dislike her, Nesrin hurried through the hallways toward the Transfiguration classroom. Out of breath and panting once she got there, she pushed open the door to reveal Professor McGonagall turning back into her human self. Immediately, her eyes caught Nesrin trying to sneak in.

"Miss Fadel, how nice of you to join us."

Nesrin bit her lip in anxiety before apologizing sincerely. "I'm sorry, Professor. It won't happen again."

Looking around the classroom, Nesrin couldn't seem to find an open seat. Realizing this, Professor McGonagall opened her mouth to address her again.

"You may take a seat next to Mr. Potter."

Nesrin nodded despite groaning internally. Finding the boy in question, she walked over to him and sat down in the empty seat next to him. He didn't seem to be paying attention—he was too caught up in annoying the redhead in front of him. Lily Evans, Nesrin realized. The girl James Potter had supposedly been in love with (and been rejected by countless times) since second year.

She rolled her eyes before muttering, "Of course, I get stuck with the lovesick idiot."

James instantly turned his head in her direction and narrowed his eyes. "I am so not lovesick, I'll have you know. There's a difference between being in love and being lovesick."

Quirking an eyebrow, Nesrin said, "So you admit you're an idiot then?"

James blinked. And then blinked again.

And then the corners of his mouth pulled up into an arrogant smirk.

"A hot idiot, yes."

"An idiot, nonetheless."

"Did you just admit I'm hot?"

Nesrin rolled her eyes and focused her gaze on the notes she had set in front of her, bored of the conversation.

She heard a deep chuckle from beside her.

"You totally think I'm hot."

Nesrin scoffed and turned to look at him. "You are just about the last person on earth I would think of as hot. Even Jeremy Peters is hotter than you."

He was not, and Nesrin knew that. So did James.

His expression did not falter as he stared at her. If anything, it grew more smug. "Ah, I may be the last person, but I'm still on the list, aren't I?"

Nesrin let out a strangled breath, unsure of whether to laugh or kick him in the balls. With his wide smirk, she was really leaning toward the latter before Professor McGonagall's voice caught her attention.

"...staying in these seats for the rest of term. The person you are sitting with will be your partner for any and all projects concerning this class. Now on to the lesson for the day..."

Nesrin couldn't help but grimace at her words.

"Of fucking course," she muttered.

James only grinned at her in response and leaned back in his seat with his hands underneath his head.